Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
JVgjowr.jpg

Benson Leung, an engineer on Google’s Pixel team, was doing God’s work by risking his Chromebook Pixel, which charges via USB-C, to test every single USB-C to USB-A cord available to general consumers. One crappy cord, and his $1500 computer would be fried.

You know how this story ends right? On Monday, a cheap cord purchased from Amazon destroyed all his testing equipment, including his computer. According to Leung’s Google Plus page, the “SurjTech 3M USB 3.1 Type C to Standard Type A” cord was unbelievably poorly made, with some necessary wires soldered incorrectly, and other wires missing. (Mercifully, the faulty cable is no longer available for purchase on the site.)

Read More

It's crazy that he used a $1500 laptop to test USB-C cables from unknown brands. There are probably many cheaper devices like tablets and smartphones with USB-C ports. He probably also could of asked a hardware employee from Google to build him a USB-C cable tester instead of using an expensive $1500 laptop.

I wonder if the laptop was his own personal laptop which he bought with his own money.

This is why I almost never trust any cables outside of the ones made for my device.

I used a few cheap USB cables in the past, and I did not have any problems with them. I mostly used them for data-only like connecting them to a USB printer which has its own power cable which plug into my home's electrical outlet for power.

It is best to buy cheaper cables from brands like Amazon, and Monoprice where cables are not very expensive, and have high reviews. Buying USB Cables from a real computer store, or electronic stores is usually good, but the price of the USB cables maybe more expensive at a Computer or Electronic Store like Bestbuy, or Staples.

Some devices like printers and scanners don't come with a USB cable, and users need to buy their own USB Cable. Printer and Scanner buyers are usually on their own when picking, and choosing a USB cable for their printer and scanner.

Back