Comcast switches on the first public gigabit cable modem

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Comcast's gigabit internet access doesn't officially go live until sometime in 2016, but that isn't stopping the company from flicking the switch a little early. The cable giant recently activated what it says is the first public-facing DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem in the world -- a fortunate customer in Philadelphia now has the kinds of speeds that previously required either a partial fiber optic link or jumping through lots of hoops. There are additional tests running in parts of Atlanta, northern California and Pennsylvania, too.

Read More

It does sound nice to have Gigabit Cable Internet Speeds.

I bet, there will still be data caps which limit your bandwidth to 300GB or less a month, and the price of Comcast Gigabit will cost hundreds to thousands of dollars a month.

A bit too pricey, in my opinion. Aren't there any cheaper alternatives?

I think most Cable Internet companies in North America charge expensive prices for faster internet speeds. There is Google Fiber, but it is only available in a few towns in the US.

I wonder if many people will upgrade to it?

I wonder if many people will upgrade to it?

I think not many people will upgrade to Comcast Gigabit because Comcast's slower speed internet plans are not very affordable, so I imagine their 1 Gbps internet will cost hundreds of dollars.

A lot of people on blog comments on Comcast blog articles leave very unhappy comments about Comcast's bandwidth limits, slow speeds, slowdown problems, and poor customer service.

Are the Comcast staff members not reading the blog posts or do they simply not care about their clients' opinions?

Comcast probably cares, but they may not hire enough good staff to quickly fix user's poor internet experience with Comcast, and the owners of Comcast may care too much about making money by lowering the quality of their services by enforcing bandwidth limits, and lowering the speed of their internet connection.

Comcast is a monopoly in many cities, and towns in the US according to many comments, and blog posts from Comcast users, so there are no alternatives to subscribing to other fast internet service unless you move to a town where Comcast internet is not a monopoly.

Sometimes the alternatives to Comcast maybe just as bad, or worse because of slower speeds, and service.

Back