Computer Science Is Now A High School Graduation Requirement In Chicago’s Public School District

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Following a unanimous vote by the Chicago Public School Board of Education, computer science will become a graduation requirement for all high school students in what is the nation’s third largest school district. Starting with next school year’s class of freshmen (class of 2020), students in Chicago Public Schools will be required to complete curriculum around computer science before graduating.

This has been a long time coming. Back in December 2013, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel announced a five-year plan to make CS a core subject taught in schools, and partnered with Code.org around providing the curriculum and preparing teachers to make that possible.

Read More

I wonder if this is a good idea. High School students who graduate will have better job opportunities. But, I feel not every student will be interested in attending a programming course which teaches Java, or C++, so it may cause some students to skip class, or not do well.

Computer science ranges from cisco networking, to data processing to system analysis, to PC repair to database knowledge. Which during all of this you cover SQL, programming language, website knowledge, flow charts (god damn flow charts....), and knowing IP address and subnet addressing.

I'm not sure what they will be taught at a high school level but I know many will not care for it.

Sounds up my ally. Unfortunately I never did had that and started late. And programming language is hard, especially me. I rather join the Chicago fire department

Some students will like it, others could careless. Its a good idea to offer these classes but I think it is a flawed approach. It is just like how our society pushes all students to attend a four year college. Yeah, four year college is great, but its not for everyone, and we still need people to do trades like plumbing, electrical, etc. I think the same could be said for programming. It is a great skill to have but it is not for everyone.

Some students will like it, others could careless. Its a good idea to offer these classes but I think it is a flawed approach. It is just like how our society pushes all students to attend a four year college. Yeah, four year college is great, but its not for everyone, and we still need people to do trades like plumbing, electrical, etc. I think the same could be said for programming. It is a great skill to have but it is not for everyone.
Yeah exactly. Like we need people joining the police or fire brigade. And end of the day technology is always changing and people who are techniques can't keep up with it themselves.

Back