Xbox One Connecting the XBox One to a PC monitor

lb

愛してるザラ
Full GL Member
Credits
Just in case you don't have a TV set in your room, or you only have one TV set in your home and you have to share it with your family, here's a guide on how to use a PC monitor to play video games on your XBox One:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/03/29/how-to-connect-your-xbox-one-to-a-pc-monitor/

Sure, the size of the screen might not be as big as that of a television set, but we have to do the best with what we've got.

What do you think?

Honestly these days, is there much difference between a tv and a PC monitor?

I personally will just get a TV with HDMI, VGA, DVI connections, component, and other cables, and use the TV as a PC monitor and a TV. Plus, TV still have older connectors like COAX, S-Video, and RCA which is useful for hooking up older devices like old DVD players which don't have HDMI ports.

Honestly these days, is there much difference between a tv and a PC monitor?

A TV has a TV tuner for watching regular cable ATSC, NTSC or PAL TV which does not need a cable box or an HDTV antennae. Many newer TVs are also smart TVs which let you watch YouTube videos, Netflix, and Hulu. Some Smart TVs use Apps and play mobile games on them if the OS on the smart TV is Android.

TVs also have older TV connectors like COAX, S-video, and RCA/Yellow, White, and Red Video and Audio ports, so a TV is useful if you have older DVD players, game consoles, and video cameras which do not use HDMI or VGA.

A monitor is usually more basic and come with only the basic features like the monitor panel, brightness, contrast, and sharpness controls, and popular video connector types like VGA, and HDMI.

I personally will just get a TV with HDMI, VGA, DVI connections, component, and other cables, and use the TV as a PC monitor and a TV. Plus, TV still have older connectors like COAX, S-Video, and RCA which is useful for hooking up older devices like old DVD players which don't have HDMI ports.

A TV has a TV tuner for watching regular cable ATSC, NTSC or PAL TV which does not need a cable box or an HDTV antennae. Many newer TVs are also smart TVs which let you watch YouTube videos, Netflix, and Hulu. Some Smart TVs use Apps and play mobile games on them if the OS on the smart TV is Android.

TVs also have older TV connectors like COAX, S-video, and RCA/Yellow, White, and Red Video and Audio ports, so a TV is useful if you have older DVD players, game consoles, and video cameras which do not use HDMI or VGA.

A monitor is usually more basic and come with only the basic features like the monitor panel, brightness, contrast, and sharpness controls, and popular video connector types like VGA, and HDMI.

how small of a tv screen can a person get?

I was thinking to buy an TV that I can chnage from port a to port b for musing the PC then watching the TV if I'm not on the PC. So that it safes space if you having two lots. in Curry's you can pick an nice one up for £200 and it's also smart

If you have a 27'' PC monitor, it could be a pretty decent size for console gaming...

27 inch monitors can be expensive to buy where they cost $170 or more. Monitors bigger than 20 inches take up a lot of space on a regular size office desk.

27-32 inch TVs can be bought for $100-120 if you buy from brands like TCL, Hisense, RCA or an older HDTV model made in 2014 or latter from LG or Samsung.

I feel the extra video ports like COAX, RCA, Component, S-video, VGA, HDMI, and DVI, and audio ports like 3.5mm headphone port, and S/PDIF digital audio port makes a TV a better deal. A TV also comes with a remote which comes in handy for adjusting the volume, turning on the TV, and switching video sources.

Well, being able to connect the console to the PC monitor might help or it might not. When someone wants to watch a movie or their favorite show on tv, then you have the option to hook up the console to the PC monitor to play your games without disrupting what the other person is watching on tv. But if someone wants to use the PC, then you have to hook the console up to the tv again to not get in the way of the person using the PC. It all depends on which is more important in your house.

Well, being able to connect the console to the PC monitor might help or it might not. When someone wants to watch a movie or their favorite show on tv, then you have the option to hook up the console to the PC monitor to play your games without disrupting what the other person is watching on tv. But if someone wants to use the PC, then you have to hook the console up to the tv again to not get in the way of the person using the PC. It all depends on which is more important in your house.

I feel being able to connect a Xbox One to a PC monitor may not be able to help many people.

There are now fewer PC users which use a PC with a standalone monitors with HDMI ports because laptops, tablets, All-in-one desktop computers like the Apple iMac with the display which is built-into the PC are more popular, so they may not own a standalone monitor to use for an Xbox One.

There are still many people who use older LCD monitors with VGA, and DVI ports which are not compatible with the Xbox One without using an adapter to convert the Xbox One HDMI cable to work on VGA, and DVI monitor. Some people also buy cheaper monitors with just VGA and DVI video ports, and no HDMI ports to save money.

Buying a TV may also be cheaper than a PC monitor because of TV sales on Black Friday and Cybermonday. PC monitors can get pretty expensive once you buy PC monitors which are over 19 inches in size.

Well, I have a Wii U and it helps me out a lot. My hubby watches a lot of tv, however, I play more video games than he does. With the Wii U, I can play my video games and not disrupt his ability to watch tv.

I figured this would be something similar to that and allow people to not fight over the tv...

Well, I have a Wii U and it helps me out a lot. My hubby watches a lot of tv, however, I play more video games than he does. With the Wii U, I can play my video games and not disrupt his ability to watch tv.

I figured this would be something similar to that and allow people to not fight over the tv...

The ability to connect a console to a TV would work out for people with both a TV, and PC monitor which is not being use.

Many regular PC monitors don't have built-in speakers, so it may not work out for every PC user with a monitor without built-in speakers unless they have headphones, a headset with headphones and mic, or a standalone speaker system which works with their console.

There are also some older PC montors with built-in speakers which use a 3.5 mm audio cable connection which is not compatible with some consoles unless you buy a converter to convert the 3.5mm audio cable to digital HDMI or S/PDIF on some consoles like the PS3-4 and Xbox 360-One.

I actually use a a £107 ASUS PC monitor for my PS4 since I sit at a desk to play my games and it seems best for that sort of distance, seems TVs below 30inches are terrible nowadays.

The smallest tv I've seen around here is a 32 incher. I haven't seen anyone sell anything smaller than that but I haven't really been shopping for tv's lately either.

I actually use a a £107 ASUS PC monitor for my PS4 since I sit at a desk to play my games and it seems best for that sort of distance, seems TVs below 30inches are terrible nowadays.

I think that there are a lot of cheaper monitors which are not very good for console gaming because of uncommon video game resolutions like 1600 x 900, 1280 x 1024, etc.

TVs below 30 inches are usually 720P and sometimes 1080P, and have a refresh rate of 60 Hz. These TVs are not the best for gaming or watching Full HD video from a computer, TV settop box. But, they could work at playing console games, and not worrying about the resolution not being HD, or some less-common video resolution which may make the video from games look square because the monitor uses a square video resolution like 1280 x 1024, and video shape.

Last edited:
I think that there are a lot of cheaper monitors which are not very good for console gaming because of uncommon video game resolutions like 1600 x 900, 1280 x 1024, etc.

TVs below 30 inches are usually 720P and sometimes 1080P, and have a refresh rate of 60 Hz. These TVs are not the best for gaming or watching Full HD video from a computer, TV settop box. But, they could work at playing console games, and not worrying about the resolution not being HD, or some less-common video resolution which may make the video from games look square because the monitor uses a square video resolution like 1280 x 1024, and video shape.
Oh obviously you have to be careful what you are buying, same thing happens with everything. The one I have, an ASUS VE347H, is very good for my PS4, however occasionally games do have a letter box/border but it doesn't bother me.

Oh obviously you have to be careful what you are buying, same thing happens with everything. The one I have, an ASUS VE347H, is very good for my PS4, however occasionally games do have a letter box/border but it doesn't bother me.

I agree you have to be careful with what you are buying especially if the monitor is a LCD monitor because some cheaper lower end and older LCD monitors have lower pixel response or transition times where the pixel takes longer to change color from white where you see a moving ghost image and motion blur during very fast video playback.

LCD monitors with low pixel response times are fine for office tasks like word processing, web browsing, and watching video, but not good for gaming and watching higher speed video.

If you buy a LCD TV from a known brand like Samsung, Sony, LG, etc, you are less likely to get ghosting and motion blur problems when the LCD's pixel response time is too slow.

Some cheaper TVs may have better pixel response times than some cheaper lower-end LCD monitors designed mainly for office and school work because a higher percentage of people are likely to return a TV with ghosting and motion blur problem compared to monitors where most people who buy cheap monitors for office tasks will not run into ghosting and motion blur problems because they are not PC gamers, and don't use a PC monitor for watching high speed video.

Back