Console broken !! quick question.

Petal

Petal
Awards
Credits
It has to be repaired, it was dropped in water accidentally, so no it does not recognise the SD card, and it keeps turning itself off.
It was my own fault, I moved it out of the way as I was doing something, juggled with it as it fell towards the floor, it caught the edge of the dogs water bowl, then instead of hitting the floor, the angle it hit caused it to slide into the dogs water.

My question is - I have friends registered on it, but once it comes back (there is talk of insurance claim and therefore a new one) will they still be there on the old one.
Or as they have me on theirs, will it show that I am registered so I just re-enter their friends codes and pick up with them again regardless of whether it is a repaired old one, or lucky enough to be able to claim and put towards a new one.

I wonder if anyone can help.

Thanks Saffron.

I'm assuming this is a 3DS, so I'm moving it there.

As for what to do, uhhh... I have a feeling any loss of data is not Nintendo's responsibility, so the grim outcome is that you lose all your friends. From experience, your friends will still have you registered, so only you have to register them and they will automatically add back.

If you can get a brand new one without it being repaired (and it's under warranty, which might not work out because you were the one at fault, it isn't a console defect), you could enquire about transferring data from one system to another (if it's even possible; if the console's stuffed now, you might not be able to do that).

Long story short, I don't think there's going to be a good outcome for this unfortunately, heh.

You have thoroughly dried it out first, haven't you? If you let it completely dry somewhere warm over the course of several days (I'd say at least a week) then it might work again, at least well enough that you might be able to perform a system transfer with a new one.

You have thoroughly dried it out first, haven't you? If you let it completely dry somewhere warm over the course of several days (I'd say at least a week) then it might work again, at least well enough that you might be able to perform a system transfer with a new one.
It only happened Friday, so im still drying it out. It isnt that it does not work at all at the moment, it does, I just cannot use the SD card, and it turns itself off, but I know that over time it will stop working.

It only happened Friday, so it is still being left to dry out. It was still working, it just did not recognise the SD card, and over time it will stop working.
As for the getting a new one via insurance, the card it was bought with has additional cover on it, to cover accidental damage, and they have said it is covered. So we have to phone in the week and start a claim, with that I should be able to get a new one, then at some point, we should have enough to pay the £70+ it will cost to repair the old one.

I shall start again with friends and it took me ages to get only 2 streetpass hits. Oh well, a broken nintendo really is the least of my worries. Just wanted to see what ppl thought.
So thanks for the answers. Much appreciated.

How do you know it will stop working over time?
You'd be surprised what sort of dunking electricals can survive as long as their given proper time to dry out before you switch them on again. I know you've already tried switching it on (which was a mistake), but if you let it dry there's still a good chance it'll work.
Of course it's life will still be shortened, so you'll still want to pursue that insurance claim.

I know it will stop working over time because electricals and water are not the best of combinations, you said yourself it's life will be shortened, which is the same as me saying that it will eventually stop working. I will not be rude but I only asked about friends on it, as I was not sure if I would lose them or not. I am a grown woman with a husband and children, and I happen to love my ds, and had to buy one as my son was annoyed I kept 'borrowing' his. So I do know how well water and internal mechanics of things mix. It will give up eventually and my son is not impressed as the 3DS is shared by us both. Thank you for your help, I am sure we will get it sorted one way or another.

Question!

Is friend data stored on the sd card? Because if it is, you could just transfer the sd card over to your new 3ds.

Question!

Is friend data stored on the sd card? Because if it is, you could just transfer the sd card over to your new 3ds.
It's not, and besides which all data saved on the SD card is encoded specifically to that 3DS. Just putting the SD card into another 3DS would not work. In fact the new 3DS would prompt you to format it.

Question!

It's not, and besides which all data saved on the SD card is encoded specifically to that 3DS. Just putting the SD card into another 3DS would not work. In fact the new 3DS would prompt you to format it.

I just realised that there's a System Transfer setting in the 3DS. But you need to connect to the Internet to verify and whatever. So if you bought a new 3DS, I'd keep the old one, do the transfer (not sure how it works though actually, you might need to do more research into it) and then you'll keep all of your data. Maybe.

Question!

I just realised that there's a System Transfer setting in the 3DS. But you need to connect to the Internet to verify and whatever. So if you bought a new 3DS, I'd keep the old one, do the transfer (not sure how it works though actually, you might need to do more research into it) and then you'll keep all of your data. Maybe.
If you can perform a system transfer then you will keep all of your data. But that's if.

Sorry about your 3ds dude but you better kiss it goodbye cause the insurence probably won't replace it.
If they do then before you hand it over to them, get a notepad or a piece of paper and write your friends codes down then ask all of them to add you again on you new / repaired 3ds.

Back