froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Consumer Report asked 58,000 subscribers who purchased laptops between 2010 and 2015 to detail their notebook experience, including failures. Of all laptops out there, two laptop families stand out in the study, the MacBook Air, which has a 7% estimated failure rate, and the MacBook Pro, which has a 9% failure rate.

Apple has the most reliable laptops, with a 10% breakdown rate in the first three years after purchase. Overall, 20% of respondents reported a failure in the first three years of use.

Even so, it’s the Windows machines that have higher failure rates after three years. Samsung and Gateway have a 16% failure rate, with the rest of the industry at 18-19%.

Apple’s laptops have a 3-4% annual breakdown rate while Windows machines are more likely to fail in the first year, often under warranty.

Read More

I think, when you pay thousands of dollars for a laptop like a Macbook, the maker will make their laptops more reliable, so buyers will not complain, and switch to another brand.

It's surprising that Gateway, and Samsung have a slightly lower failure rate compared to the rest of the laptop makers.

I rarely see people use Gateway, and Samsung laptops in Canada. I mostly see people use Dell, Acer, Asus, HP and Apple laptops in public.

Sadly, a lot of the Windows laptop makers are now spending more their time on making smartphones, and tablets, so they may care less about making laptops because they make more money by selling tablets, and smartphones.

Sony even quit making laptops and desktops, and now only make Android tablets, and smartphones.

This is true, had a few apple hardcore users in my college class last year and even my networking teacher who dislikes apple agreed the laptops are of high quality.

Back