Could a non Nintendo team handle a 2D/3D Mario platformer?

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
We've seen a lot of big Nintendo series get handed off to third party developers and various secondary teams within Nintendo, but Mario has always been made either by EAD or Nintendo Tokyo. Zelda got games by Capcom, Metroid by Team Ninja as a third party and Retro Studios as a first party, Donkey Kong games are made by Rare, Retro and Paon...

Could someone else handle a Mario game well? What if Retro's project was a new Mario platformer? Hell, what if a third or second party team made one? Would it be good?

I don't know how I would feel about it. I mean if it ain't broke don't fix it. The "Bowser kidnapped Peach... again," thing works. It always works. Sure I'd like to see something different once and a while, but I don't know know how well someone else could do handeling Mario. *Looks at the CDi game." Same with Zelda. *Looks at CDi games.*

I mean Capcom did pretty well, but Capcom is a good company and they make good games. Though I don't know how well Capcom would do with the Mario series though. As for Retro Studios, I don't want them to lay a finger on Mario. They did Metroid and Donkey Country. Two series that I really don't like. So I'd rather not have him fall into hands of... that.

I'd love to see Retro make the next 3D mario, preferably something like sunshine: non linear, and more inspired locations.

I'd love to see Retro make the next 3D mario, preferably something like sunshine: non linear, and more inspired locations.
The funny thing is that I don't want RS to make it because I want it to be linear. I have a problem with back tracking, which is why I don't like Metroid. Back tracking isn't fun, its' never been, and nothing can make it fun. Not even Mario. I mean if I'm at a split path I freak out because I don't want to miss the slightest thing. I mean I understand a couple of two way paths, but I don't want it to have three way path that goes to a two way path, and to another two way path just to end up having to go back from where I was just to get something I missed.

I say having somebody else to work on it, with some supervision by Nintendo, would be pretty good.

Even an art style change or something could be pretty awesome on it's own, let alone gameplay (which would be awesome-er)

I think Retro could definitely do it

That does sound interesting but it will probably look different and people will complain and the chance that there would be another game by that same developer would be ZERO. Is anyone following what i just said because i sure didn't.

We've seen a lot of big Nintendo series get handed off to third party developers and various secondary teams within Nintendo, but Mario has always been made either by EAD or Nintendo Tokyo. Zelda got games by Capcom, Metroid by Team Ninja as a third party and Retro Studios as a first party, Donkey Kong games are made by Rare, Retro and Paon...

Could someone else handle a Mario game well? What if Retro's project was a new Mario platformer? Hell, what if a third or second party team made one? Would it be good?

Well, second party developers, sure!

Third party developers? Hard to say, but I'd say it depends on the company. However, EAD or Nintendo Tokyo (Miyamoto, anyway!) should still oversee the production, otherwise the game will probably end up being inferior to the other Super Mario games.

Back