Could Bandwidth Limits from ISP make Internet connected devices like Smart TVs less popular?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Yes, I think bandwidth limits like Comcast's 300GB download limit which Internet Service providers like Comcast enforce can make internet connected devices like internet connected security cameras, smart tvs, smartwatches, and newer game consoles like the Steam Machine, Nvidia Shield TV or Razer Forge TV less popular because a lot of internet connected devices could use a lot of bandwidth if they are always-connected, and ON.

Plus, internet connected devices mainly use the internet for getting content like games, movies, music, and sending and receiving files. If your internet connection download size is limited to only 300GB or less before being disconnected, or paying overage fees, you maybe less interested in buying something like a Steam Machine, Smart TV, or tablet because they can use a lot of bandwidth if you buy a lot of games per month.

Last edited:
The United States may as well be a 3rd world country when internet is considered. The Europeans have much better internet service and way better pricing than the US. That's not to say bad about the EU, just that there is no reason for the US to be the way it is other than cash grabs, Aussies have it worse according to my crew mates.

The current data limits really have to make me think about each download and adding anything to it other than gaming is out of the question atm.

Hopefully if LiFi really comes to market it changes the way data is monitized

Canada is worse than the US and other countries in many cases since Canadian ISP are now enforcing 60-150 GB download bandwidth limits per month for their regularly price $60 a month internet plans, and the download and upload speeds rarely increase to a faster speed for broadband connections.

At least, the US has Google Fiber which is more affordable Gigabit highspeed internet if you are lucky enough to live in cities where Google offers Google Fiber.

Comcast is more expensive, but its bandwidth limits are 300 GB which is better than most bandwidth limits in Canada by ISP which enforce a 60-150GB limits depending on your ISP company, and internet package.

Australia has limits. Hasn't stopped people buying them, though getting Netflix over the last year has made people realise just how shit or internet infrastructure is. That's what you get for voting Abbott you morons.

Some ISPs have deals for streaming services. For instance, my ISP (Optus) doesn't count Netflix to our download limit, though it will count Stan and Presto (the other major streaming services here).

I imagine most people use consoles / media devices rather than their TVs for streaming because Smart TVs are still pretty expensive.

If you buy a Smart TV from a smaller brand like Vzio, TCL, and Hisense, the Smart TV are more affordable. A lot of the times, the better higher resolution TVs like most 4K TVs force you to buy a Smart TV because there is no non-smart version of the TV.

I think those deals where Netflix doesn't count your bandwidth is not useful for people who hide their internet connection traffic for privacy and security by using a US VPN/Virtual Private Network with a US I.P. Address to use the internet, and watch the US version of Netflix and Hulu+ which has more tv shows, and movies because of copyright laws making the shows and movies only being legally allowed to be watch within the US like region-locked DVDs and video games which are locked to US Region DVD players and game consoles.

I think laptops are popular for streaming to a TV as well because most newer laptops have a HDMI port to connect it to a TV with a HDMI cable, and you can pretty much access all streaming services on a laptop unless the streaming is restricted to only Apple OS X or Windows 10 because Apple and MS don't want other OS users from accessing their streaming video service.

Users of older Laptop can use the VGA port on the laptop to connect to the VGA port on some older HDTV, or use a VGA to HDMI converter box to connect it to a newer TV which does not have VGA ports.

For audio from streaming video on laptops, users can use the laptop internal speakers. Almost all laptops' audio port can also be easily connected to the TV's speaker, or separate external speaker set for better sound when the user use a special 3.5mm to RCA Y-adapter cable, or a 3.5mm line-in audio cable when plugging it into external speakers like PC speakers, or portable speakers like Bluetooth speakers which has a line-in audio port for better sound. A lot of newer laptops also have Bluetooth wireless adapters, or can use a USB to Bluetooth adapter, so laptops can use Bluetooth speakers for audio as well.

Back