Could PlayStation make a PS4-Switch Hybrid?

I'm positive I read something on Sony saying they wouldn't pull off a Switch. Granted they can change their mind but I don't think it be their thing really.

I'm positive I read something on Sony saying they wouldn't pull off a Switch. Granted they can change their mind but I don't think it be their thing really.
I hope they don’t do it personally. They’d have to compromise on power for size, etc. I’d rather they made something powerful like they did with the PS4 so that we can enjoy beautiful and massive games like we have this generation. I feel making a hybrid would have to downgrade some of these aspects.

I hope they don’t do it personally. They’d have to compromise on power for size, etc. I’d rather they made something powerful like they did with the PS4 so that we can enjoy beautiful and massive games like we have this generation. I feel making a hybrid would have to downgrade some of these aspects.

I think they did try something like this with the Vita, but we all know how that turned out.

I think they did try something like this with the Vita, but we all know how that turned out.
I'd rather Sony focused purely on the home console market. They haven't blown the world away with handhelds and it just splits up the development time from first party studios between two consoles.

I'd rather Sony focused purely on the home console market. They haven't blown the world away with handhelds and it just splits up the development time from first party studios between two consoles.

PSP was.... decent, but I agree. They are splitting up a market that I now believe that Nintendo no longer feels that should be split.

While I question the odds of this actually happening, I don't doubt that it's definitely possible Sony would try to pull something like this. It's happened in the past.

Nintendo dominated the handheld market, and Sony wanted a piece of that action, which ended up with the birth of the PSP/Vita handhelds. Nintendo popularized motion control interaction with the Wii, and next thing you know we've got the PlayStation Move. Now that we've got the Switch, a multi-functional home/portable console, and don't doubt that Sony execs have at least considered coming up with a similarly multi-functional console.

If Sony does take a stab at it, I hope that history doesn't repeat itself. If it does, that means it'll be met with a mediocre degree of popularity, only to fade into inevitable obscurity. They've really got to think about how they're going to do it, and actually give people an incentive to go for this console.

They need to learn from the PSP. I loved that handheld, and thought it was an amazing piece of hardware. But its library of games left a lot to be desired, and so people didn't really find a good enough reason to own one. And those of us who did own one, shortly forgot about it as the list of praise worthy games got shorter and shorter every year.

I think PS Vita died mostly from the fact it had far too many PS4 and PS3 ports, or PS4 versions of the same game if new.
The largest portion of the PlayStation userbase finds graphics very important, and play games at home.
Already 2 aspects on which PS Vita failed, even though they released a PSTV later on, which is PS Vita on a TV screen with limited game support.

But I own a PS Vita, I really liked the simplicity of the main UI.
And while I'm on the go a lot, I normally ended up playing on a 3DS instead back when I took both with me.
But my reason is just because Nintendo platforms always have the games I enjoy playing while PlayStation and Xbox usually don't.

Vita won't die if they just translated japanese games. But yea I agree that userbase is into graphics, but for me I don't actually care about graphics.

Back