Curse words at workplace

Claraviolet

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Unlock full profile styling
I met a colleague who used curse words at our workplace.

She is not a bad person per se but that usage right there is irritating many people.

Do you judge people based on their language as well?

Depends on the context.
Throughout my entire career I've always seen colleagues that use curse words, but only if they're not dealing with customers.
And curse words are mostly only used when something goes wrong, or in contexts like "What do you want to drink? I so fucking want more coffee, maaaan!", which I think is perfectly OK, and sometimes I even find it hillarious to see an old guy in a suit and necktie say "Goddamnit, fucking hell!".
On the other hand, contexts like "You're doing it wrong, you fucking cunt!" is what I find unacceptable.
And if a customer can hear any kind of swearing or cursing is what I consider a huge no-no.

So what is the Japanese kanji equivalent of the F-bomb?

The "fuck"-F-bomb-used when swearing, what is the kanji for it?
There are multiple, but it all refers to actual intercourse, not to the swear word "fuck".
Actually, such a word doesn't even exist in Japanese at all, the closest you can get is アホ which is in Katakana and not Kanji, and really just means "arsehole".
For stuff like "fucking cold" for example you can say クソ寒い, while クソ actually means "shit", not "fuck".

I don't judge people by using curse words, but it is surprising when I hear them. I've heard curse words a lot at my old job, but never in any bad context, but it still rarely happened. At this job it happens even less, but sometimes it comes out in conversation and it takes me by surprise. I only cuss when I get hurt, but I generally try to avoid swearing if I can help it.

I think it is best to follow the workplace rules, and if the workplace does not allow cursing, it is best not to curse to avoid losing your job, and accidentally getting a complaint for racism or sexual harassment if the person misheard what you said.

Some curse words have many definitions including racist and sexual definitions.

The thing is in my family, curse words are banned and the things that I use are damn, shucks , hell and that's about it.
Hell can be called as curse word but in our language it's not a bad word...so that's an exception xD

I think it depends on the type of job you have. If you work in a factory you can curse all day long and no one bats an eyelid. If you work in an office it would be very frowned upon. My partner said he used to work with a Canadian guy and he would put swear words in the middle of words. :) I think maybe it's more acceptable in certain countries than others but I'm not really too offended by it unless it's directed at me.

Well, I see.
It's just that i believe people use curse words, when they can't win or when they are getting backed up and didn't have a way out... I could be wrong but it's just my opinion

Back