froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Cyvera is one of several computer security companies coming out of Israel. But unlike many security vendors — which track and monitor digital signatures of malware and then look for those known threats to come in — Cyvera, which runs below the end-point operating system, is more about deception and blocking any threat, known or unknown. That, says company co-founder and co-CEO Netanel Davidi, means it can, in theory, deal with zero-day threats — those that attack unknown vulnerabilities and are thus extremely dangerous.

To prove its point, Cyvera is launching TRAPS XP, to secure hundreds of millions of Windows XP machines still in use. The product launches this week. Microsoft has set April 8 as the end-of-life date for supporting the 13-year-old operating system. As of January, researcher NetMarketShare estimated that Windows XP still held nearly 30 percent of client OS market share — running on an estimated 500 million machines.

Read More

This is great news for the millions of users who still use Windows XP. I wonder if Windows XP which has the Cyvera Security software installed on it will be as safe to use as Windows 7-8 computers.

Maybe Microsoft hiring outsider non-Microsoft companies like Cyvera to keep Windows safe is better than MS trying to fix security problems themselves with Windows Defender, Security Essentials, and Windows Update.

Typically I would just make the argument that users need to upgrade to stay up to date. However, looking at the Operating Systems that followed I completely understand their reasons with staying. I myself would rather have a 3rd-party handle the security because Microsoft is a complete failure in that department. 

There are still some people who have computers with 1-1.6GHz CPU, and 256-512MB of RAM where Windows 8, 7, and Vista are too heavy to work on older computers while Windows XP works good enough on older computers.

I also mostly use non-Microsoft security software since I find 3rd party software easier to use, and is more reliable.

For users who don't use a lot of Windows exclusive software and games, Chrome OS, Linux, and other free alternative operating systems can be good enough.

So this will completely secure all XP machines and give them the same security level as W8 PCs?

According to the blog post that I link to Cyvera would make XP very secure because it can stop unknown attacks, and attackers by using a very secure program which the attacker needs to hack through before they can reach and attack Windows XP. Maybe Cyvera can make Windows XP even more secure than a default installation of Windows 8 which uses Windows Defender and Windows Firewall which are not as good as third party antivirus and Security softwarw from Avast, NOD32, and Cyvera,

Cyvera is all about unknown attacks and attackers. Unlike other security options, it does not look for known malware signatures. Instead, using APIs, it “pre-allocate into memory, under the OS, in a way that the attacker must encounter to compromise the machine,” said Davidi (pictured above, to the left of the company dog). Then it keeps the attack from happening. It’s sort of like a computer version of entrapment.

Back