Dark Souls III - First (Second) Impressions

blackcats

Banned
Credits
Yeah, this is actually the official second time I’ve played this game, but the first didn’t really count cuz A) it was a rental that lasted only 3 days, and B) I had forgotten a lot of the early game since I first played it. So, let’s get with what these impressions usually entail:

Pros:

– The visuals are more hauntingly beautiful than ever, and that’s saying something considering what series this is.

– Individual level design is intelligently crafted and includes a lot of useful detail, as well as using more vertical structures once again.

– Story and lore are deep as hell, with great ties to older games for veterans, as well as being a good standalone tale for newbies.

– Gameplay is as top notch as ever, focusing on methodical defensive tactics as well as aggression.

– Leveling remains roughly the same, which is always a good thing, plus more consumable items have stat scaling, which is awesome.

– Weapon upgrades are much more simplified without feeling like the depth is lost.

– Revamped magic system allows for better spell management, as well as relishing the new amazing weapon skills.

– Boss battles are (for the most part) incredibly designed with haunting tracks accompanying each battle.

– Online mechanics are more refined and easier to use than ever.

Cons:

– Framerate still has a tendency to drop during more demanding moments, though it is not as harsh as before.

– Overall progression feels more linear than usual, at least in the beginning.

– Hitboxes can still feel a bit off every now and then. Infinitely better than DS2, but still a bit wonky.

– Elemental weapon infusions are CRAP!

– Not sure mad phantoms are the best idea for a Souls game.

So yeah, these are my thoughts so far on what is tied for my favorite game of 2016 so far. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back