Demo Discs

Fauxpeux

Awards
Credits
Growing up in a family without much money, one of my favorite things about the disc-based systems of yesteryear (especially the Playstation) was the demo disc. It seemed like hundreds were made, covering everything from a truncated alpha or beta version of a single game, to collections of demos of games of various genres. Some had bonus features such as behind the scenes videos, too. You could get them almost anywhere- packaged with consoles, with magazines, bundled with other games. Even Pizza Hut gave away Playstation demos! Does anyone still have their demo discs? If so, what's your favorite demo or demo disc? 

Sadly i don't have any much anymore. I gave all of them to my little brother, and of course his generation being more advanced he's destroyed very bit of them :'(

Up until a few years ago, the only system I had was the gameboy, so I missed out on all of the demo disks unfortunately :(

Oh my god yes! I loved getting demo's in magazines. My favorite by far was the Parappa the Rapper on PSX, that was the first rythm based game that I ever played and was just so damn catchy. Kick, punch, it's all in the mind lol. I really miss those days, they made the demo's kind of exclusive in that if you didn't get that one magazine then you didn't know first hand how the games were.

I had a different demo disc that came with my PS1 in 1998. It was called Interactive Sampler 5 or 6 and it had Blasto, Einhander, Tomba, Tomb Raider 2, Gex 2, and Tekken 3 all in playable form. It also had trailers for Resident Evil 2, Metal Gear Solid, and Spyro The Dragon.

Oh... them were the good days.

ciorex said:
I had a different demo disc that came with my PS1 in 1998. It was called Interactive Sampler 5 or 6 and it had Blasto, Einhander, Tomba, Tomb Raider 2, Gex 2, and Tekken 3 all in playable form. It also had trailers for Resident Evil 2, Metal Gear Solid, and Spyro The Dragon.

Oh... them were the good days.
Wow! Sounds like a great disc. Do you by chance still have it? I would have definitely worn that one out! 

Anyway, I found a great resource for Playstation demo discs: 
http://www.game-rave.com/psx/playstation_perfect_guide/demodiscs/

Plenty of information on discs, what they included, and even screenshots. This one sounds particularly impressive. It was a 'thank you' for pre-ordering the PSX. Had some music and promotional audio on it. Once you got your system, it doubled as an interactive demo disc. Genius. 

I remember having one of these and being amused by how the underside of it was black. Unfortunately, I don't remember much apart from that, as I don't recall any of the content of it. The only thing I remember using it for mostly was to make some of my other games work because as the console got older it got harder for it to read some of my games and I had learned a trick from my friends to use the demo disc to start it up and exchange it to continue on with my game of choice.

Lol demo discs, haven't seen those since the PS1 days and they were pretty good in giving you insight. I miss those days.

Haha! I used to love purchasing video game magazines especially Official PlayStation Magazine because I could get a demo disc. I even found myself playing the game demos over and over. Some were very fun. I considered them as a sort of minigame. I treasured them and cared for them the same as I cared for my "real" video game collection.

$%28KGrHqR,!hoFC8Tys6G2BR!DF,3%28,!~~60_35.JPG

I remember a couple years ago when I was a little kid, I used to go to SuperStore (lol) Whenever I went there I would go to the Magazine/Books section and in the PC Gamer magazine there would always be a demo disc in there. 

The first two Tomb Raider games on the PlayStation often came with a demo bundle. Tomb Raider 1 had a bundled demo on the same disk for a free-roam fighting game (don't recall the name) released the same year. Tomb Raider 2 also had a bundled demo for Time Splitters.

I remember seeing all the demo discs in a lot of magazines and different places.
However, i never really used them because i had online for a long time and managed to always get them anyway.

Back