Did AMVs go out of fashion?

Burnsy

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
I don't hear anyone talking about them unlike a decade ago when everyone was watching and making Naruto and Linken park AMVs.I also got into them then. Yeah I haven't exactly been following anime or in too many forums with new people so maybe it's that.

I've seen some AMVs. I tend to see them when relating to various music or anime and don't recall the last time I saw them on my recommended. I think they tended to be popular in the early 2000s and then died down later.

I think you gotta go on dedicated websites to watch them due to copyright strikes on YouTube.

I think people also got tired of the 8 million Naruto vs Sasuke Linkin Park AMV’s, as that’s what people associate the medium with now.

Ngl, I hated AMV’s back in the day. It felt like a mountain of low effort videos to the same songs, to the same shows, and to basically the same scenes.

I think you gotta go on dedicated websites to watch them due to copyright strikes on YouTube.

I think people also got tired of the 8 million Naruto vs Sasuke Linkin Park AMV’s, as that’s what people associate the medium with now.

After checking yt once, I think I was wrong because they are getting more views than ever. It really is a case of me being out of the loop.

I so do miss the early days of Youtube, so many great AMVs floating around. Now you can't post anything without copyright strike >_>

Every change yt has made for the last 10 years has literally made it worse.

Ngl, I hated AMV’s back in the day. It felt like a mountain of low effort videos to the same songs, to the same shows, and to basically the same scenes.

It's an artform and you'd have to find the good editors if you want to see good editing or plot.
But even the low effort ones served as trailers to anime back then and discovery of songs.

Last edited:
It's an artform and you'd have to find the good editors if you want to see good editing or plot.
But even the low effort ones served as trailers to anime back then and discovery of songs.
I see the early days of YouTube and AMV’s was like wading through a mountain of repetitive turds to find the diamonds.

Also in my experience, it didn’t feel like a trailer to anime or discovery of songs. Most of the videos all over YouTube in the early days were really Naruto vs Sasuke or Goku vs Vegeta to [insert popular rock song]. So any anime fan during those days knew about DBZ and Naruto, and anyone that listened to rock radio knew who Linkin Park, Breaking Benjamin, and Three Days Grace were. They were the some of the most popular bands in the genre in like 2006-2010

To me it just kind of soured my experience and made it feel like some low effort thing people threw up on YouTube for clicks. Going through several of those videos didn’t give me a good impression.

I see the early days of YouTube and AMV’s was like wading through a mountain of repetitive turds to find the diamonds.

Also in my experience, it didn’t feel like a trailer to anime or discovery of songs. Most of the videos all over YouTube in the early days were really Naruto vs Sasuke or Goku vs Vegeta to [insert popular rock song]. So any anime fan during those days knew about DBZ and Naruto, and anyone that listened to rock radio knew who Linkin Park, Breaking Benjamin, and Three Days Grace were. They were the some of the most popular bands in the genre in like 2006-2010

To me it just kind of soured my experience and made it feel like some low effort thing people threw up on YouTube for clicks. Going through several of those videos didn’t give me a good impression.

That's just because you were wading through the YT algorithm. I found channels and some editors who made the best and stuck with them.

That's just because you were wading through the YT algorithm. I found channels and some editors who made the best and stuck with them.
I’m curious how the algorithm even worked back then, though that doesn’t really change the fact that was the vast majority of the AMV’s available.

Half of early YouTube were Naruto vs Sasuke AMV’s and lyric videos with Comic Sans font, all made in Windows Movie Maker. Oh, and AVGN clones.

I’m curious how the algorithm even worked back then, though that doesn’t really change the fact that was the vast majority of the AMV’s available.

Half of early YouTube were Naruto vs Sasuke AMV’s and lyric videos with Comic Sans font, all made in Windows Movie Maker. Oh, and AVGN clones.

The meme is of Linken park but I swear it should be skillet instead.

The meme is of Linken park but I swear it should be skillet instead.
Skillet was kind of on the tail end of that. They didn’t get popular until 2009, so they were kind of late to the angsty teenager playlist. There was a solid three years for Linkin Park, Breaking Benjamin, and Three Days Grace AMV’s on YouTube.

Skillet was kind of on the tail end of that. They didn’t get popular until 2009, so they were kind of late to the angsty teenager playlist. There was a solid three years for Linkin Park, Breaking Benjamin, and Three Days Grace AMV’s on YouTube.

And Evanesence
And Blue stahil
Maybe ashes remain too.

And Evanesence
And Blue stahil
Maybe ashes remain too.
I personally haven’t seen Blue Stahli, or know who they are. Ashes Remain is also pretty late.

There was a lot of Evanesence. Emo scenes of Sasuke to My Immortal all over the place.

Also a lot of people thought they were geniuses making AMV’s featuring Pain set to Three Days Grace’s Pain. I know, never would have put two and two together.

I personally haven’t seen Blue Stahli, or know who they are. Ashes Remain is also pretty late.

There was a lot of Evanesence. Emo scenes of Sasuke to My Immortal all over the place.

Also a lot of people thought they were geniuses making AMV’s featuring Pain set to Three Days Grace’s Pain. I know, never would have put two and two together.

Blue stahil had one song that was super popular (Ultranumb).

I personally still see them a lot on my feed and never really look for them anymore. I feel like the YT DMCA problems attacked them with music copyrights, anime copyrights, and eventually algorithm drops from the copyrights to really damage their abilities to thrive, but they seem to see do well.

Back