Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
Just saw the trailer. So are they going the serious martial arts action film route and no singing this time?

Last edited:
This is so cool!! Suddenly remembered that It's Cameron Boyce favorite Disney movie and he died before he was able to watch the trailer and the movie :(

Interesting.
I have heard of Mulan before but I never gave it a try....may be I should

Too bad Mulan is not in Total War 3 kingdoms game because of the timeline. It would be cool if she's recruitable in the game though lol

Just read this from cnn:

Liu Yifei, the actress starring in Disney's upcoming live-action "Mulan" remake, waded into the Hong Kong protest controversy on Thursday by expressing support for the city's police, who anti-government demonstrators accuse of using excessive force to quell unrest.

"I support the Hong Kong police. You can all attack me now. What a shame for Hong Kong," she posted on Weibo, a Twitter-like Chinese social media platform.
Immediately, people began posting #BoycottMulan on Twitter -- which is banned in China. Twitter users accused the actress of supporting police brutality, and called out the fact that she's an American citizen.

On the flip side, she also received plenty of praise on Weibo, the dominant platform in China. Nearly all the comments on her post echoed support for the Hong Kong police and Beijing.

"Believe in the government, believe in the Chinese central (government), believe in the country," one comment wrote.
The protests, which began in June as largely peaceful mass demonstrations against a now-suspended extradition bill, have morphed into something much darker and more violent, with frequent clashes between protesters and police.

Liu isn't the only Chinese celebrity who's weighed in -- Jackie Chan, martial arts film icon and native Hong Konger, called for peace on Thursday in an interview with China's broadcaster CCTV. He, too, was blasted on Twitter for the nationalist tone of his message -- at one point, he says in Mandarin, "I feel the pride of being a Chinese everywhere. The five-starred red flag is respected everywhere."

Read some comments from the director, from CBR:

The live-action remake of Mulan will not be a carbon copy of its animated predecessor. It will not be a musical -- although the film will feature instrumental versions of the original songs -- and it will not feature the Eddie Murphy-voiced dragon Mushu.

"I think we can all appreciate that Mushu is irreplaceable. You know, the animated classic stands on its own in that regard," director Niki Caro said. "In this movie, there is a creature representative -- a spiritual representation of the ancestors, and most particularly of Mulan's relationship with her father." Caro went on to say there wouldn't be an updated version of Mushu in her film.

Saw latest trailer:

Saw behind the scenes video:

Battle scenes look good.

Saw latest trailer, so there's a fantasy/magic element in the movie:

Saw/read this from CBR:

While fans might be pleased with Disney's decision to bring Mulan to Disney+, countless movie theaters have taken exception with the blockbuster-sized shift. However, one theater owner took things to the extreme.

"It’s really a huge effort to stay open right now for most of us, but we were assuming there would be some ambitious movie releases in the coming weeks," Gerard Lemoine, the owner of Cinepal in Palaiseau, Paris told Deadline. "By losing Mulan, we lost the possibility of offering our audiences a long-awaited film that would have helped us after these past hard weeks. It is also a bad message to send to the public [who had been expecting a theatrical release]." Lemoine went viral after a video surfaced of him taking a baseball bat to a Mulan carboard theatrical display.

Saw/read this from CBR:

While fans might be pleased with Disney's decision to bring Mulan to Disney+, countless movie theaters have taken exception with the blockbuster-sized shift. However, one theater owner took things to the extreme.

"It’s really a huge effort to stay open right now for most of us, but we were assuming there would be some ambitious movie releases in the coming weeks," Gerard Lemoine, the owner of Cinepal in Palaiseau, Paris told Deadline. "By losing Mulan, we lost the possibility of offering our audiences a long-awaited film that would have helped us after these past hard weeks. It is also a bad message to send to the public [who had been expecting a theatrical release]." Lemoine went viral after a video surfaced of him taking a baseball bat to a Mulan carboard theatrical display.

I thought movie theaters were closed right now anyways? But I agree, I much rather see this on the big screen.

Read that cartoon Mulan's Ming-Na Wen has a cameo in the live action.

Back