Do find PC games where you do not have to put in a CD disk more convenient?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think playing Games like WoW, Maple Stories, Americas Army, and other games which don't require a CD to be played in the CD drive more convenient, but they can take up more space on your computer unless the Game is just checking if you own a legal copy of the CD before it lets you play the game.

I prefer those that don't require a CD to be played. However, you can always use a crack to get rid of the annoying "Insert CD" errors even on your legal copy. :grin:

I heard of programs which copies the CD to the hard drive and make a virtual CD drive on your computer for playing games. It is called Alcohol 120% which makes a virtual vopy of your CD on your hard drive.

I heard Steam is all web based and you do not have to use CD to play games, but my internet is sometimes slow and unreliable, so downloading games can be frustrating.

I don't like to put the CD or DVD to play the game ... but i do like hard copies in a seperate disk incase my HDD crashes...

I don't like to put the CD or DVD to play the game ... but i do like hard copies in a seperate disk incase my HDD crashes...

Same for me, I like a hard copy as well, or at least an installer file to reinstall the game with the installer file on my USB flash drive, or hard drive.

I heard of programs which copies the CD to the hard drive and make a virtual CD drive on your computer for playing games. It is called Alcohol 120% which makes a virtual vopy of your CD on your hard drive.

I heard Steam is all web based and you do not have to use CD to play games, but my internet is sometimes slow and unreliable, so downloading games can be frustrating.
Steam is all webbased, yes. Though Valve released PC games usually are in stores aswell, it installs steam on your PC. Source games are also rather nicely space saving. I have about 10 games installed, and I'm only using 48 GiB. Though they aren't all made by Valve, the size isn't that bad.

Wonder if OnLive Cloud gaming will ever be a success with gamers when or ifit already came out.

I dont use Cds to play the games. I just download from the internet and launch the application whenever i want to play. That way i dont have to insert a cd everytime i play. Also, i wont lose the application unlike a cd which could be lost or broken.

It's inconvenient especially when lending the game to a friend, as you need the cd to play and you cannot play simultaneously. Unless you get the no-cd patch or crack to play. :grin:

Yep. Its a lot easier to just double-click an icon then to install a CD. Plus, not needing a CD means that I don't have to worry about losing anything. My only concern would be if the hard drive failed, but that's what backups are for. I think CDs are going to become extinct, with everything being downloaded instead.

It is definitely more convenient to play a PC game without a CD. I can play the game whenever I want and no need to look for the CD each time I play. I just click on the icon to access the game directly and this will saves the time required to load the CD.

I usually prefer those that do not require a CD but then, even if it does, a quick google search for a "No-CD Crack" solves the problem :grin: ...That's what I do for many games!....Love the hackers :p

Back