Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Do you believe that children are brought up cushioned and spoiled these days? Past generations were brought up on good standards and hard work, while kids today are seem to be pushed in front of tvs and just play without care.

May be but then again, can you really blame anyone for that? Nope. It's the technology.

I do think that a lot of kids are indeed spoilt nowadays. I mean, look at how many just suspiciously seem to get all the latest iPhones and Macbooks and all that stuff, despite them costing hundreds or thousands or dollars. And a lot definitely need to realise that 'being offended' is their own problem, not the world's one.

I've seen a lot of children that are given a lot more than what I had when I was a kid. Don't get me wrong, I'm not resentful towards my parents because I didn't get certain things growing up. I was taught to work for the things, I wasn't handed every single thing by my parents. I did receive gifts from my parents on my birthday or on Christmas, but I didn't have all the stuff that kids have these days. For instance, you see a lot of kids these days that have a cell phone. I didn't have my first cell phone till I got my first job because I had to pay for it myself.

Parents are the first party to blame if they surrender to their kids' endless needs,Especially when they are spoiled. Buying them technology in an early age isn't really good for them, as they might get lost by getting distracted to a device (Iphone, Tablet....).
I got my first cellphone when i was 16. and my first Laptop when i was 22.So Parents should severely strict when it comes to satisfying their kids' needs.

I don't know if in general they do. I think there has been a shift in values and it started with our own parents. Many of our parents grew in the opposite extreme, poor and having to work really hard to even get the bare needs with strict parents and punishments. A mother slapping a kid across the face in public was nothing odd, it was the mother business. A teacher using a rule to hit a kid that disrespected was a normal day. For many it became easy to decide to be unlike that and try to instead let their kids enjoy being kids. Things backfired for many who didn't managed to balance things and make their kids also learn the value instead of just the net cost of things.
same with the offending things, they grew with people not caring that much from outside their house so that generation grew trying to fix what they thought it was wrong. denouncing the teacher and going against hitting their kids as punishment. Some sadly took it to the other extreme where now you're expected to walk around eggshells to avoid saying or doing anything that can be 'controversial'. We grew up somewhere around that mess.

We're responsible from our actions but that also extends to learn to cope with unpleasant situations, being told unpleasant things, having our plans falling short. People live in their own bubbles and don't you dare to burst them.

In education though, I don't think kids get it easier than us, the pressure from it has increased so much as well as the complexity of the subjects, kids nowadays have crammed in their first years what older people were expected to learn in double or triple the time. The homework is also longer and more consistent from each different subject. They get home and try to unwind with any kind of hobby and soon they get into the "lazy". You're expected to have a drive and know what you want to become but you're discouraged in getting actual work experience or a breather. Study, enroll, study, enroll. Choose wisely. A Hobbie should not become your job.

Then you have parents misunderstanding the new hobbies and shows that technology has brought around. Anime (including subbed), Cosplaying, having YT people becoming your celebrities, even today gaming still has a ridiculous stigma. If you play 4 hours people will call it a waste of time but they feel just fine watching their TV shows or DVD collection.

You also have a big amount of teenagers getting depressed which indicates maybe they are not having it as easy as we think and we're just looking back with rose tinted glasses.

. . .

Now, this doesn't mean I agree or find alright seeing parents giving their babies iPads or their 4 year old kids mobile phones. I think a phone is an important tool for communication first and foremost and you should give it only when you're kid is old enough to understand that and is well actually going away from you. Before the age where you stop picking her or him up and basically being with them I don't find a reason for them to have a cellphone.

Many do spoil their kids but I don't think it is something limited to our times. There is a lot of lack of involvement in disciplining the kids because parents are afraid of traumatising them or breaking their spirits. It is important to make them know what is acceptable and what isn't. I hear many say they just want their kids to grow being who they are, but you need experiences to define yourself and guidance. You need errors. You need even scraps. Climb the frigging tree and fall to know what we can and can't do. Being told we were rude to understand we damaged with our wording. Parents wanting just to be another best-friend without ever assuming the authority role.

can you really blame anyone for that? Nope. It's the technology.
Parents are the first party to blame if they surrender to their kids' endless needs

Well, just shows how much i really know really. That's no new that they do that, but it is sad how much they are now amp it and how cynics they are with their reasoning. That's not frigging addressing the problem at all!

Parents are the first party to blame if they surrender to their kids' endless needs,Especially when they are spoiled. Buying them technology in an early age isn't really good for them, as they might get lost by getting distracted to a device (Iphone, Tablet....).
I got my first cellphone when i was 16. and my first Laptop when i was 22.So Parents should severely strict when it comes to satisfying their kids' needs.

This is 100% true. Parents give in to their child's wants. That is how children end up spoiled. If a child doesn't hear the word 'no' once in a while, then then learn that they are entitled to things rather than having to work for things. By doing this, we are making a society that thinks they should be given everything. What's going to happen to society when more and more people expect that and there aren't anyone that is working for those things that people think they are entitled to?

This is 100% true. Parents give in to their child's wants. That is how children end up spoiled. If a child doesn't hear the word 'no' once in a while, then then learn that they are entitled to things rather than having to work for things. By doing this, we are making a society that thinks they should be given everything. What's going to happen to society when more and more people expect that and there aren't anyone that is working for those things that people think they are entitled to?
Kids never take no as an answer, nor stuff like "you're too young for this" this can also lead to delinquency , in worst cases, when a child grows up delinquent, they might commit theft crimes to satisfy thing they never had in their childhood, due to the fact that are being too spoiled, and parents can't afford satisfying them, yeah, Theft crimes can happen.

Back