Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Video game lives, it was something you use to have to get a lot of back in the old video game days so you didn't see the game over screen. But these days, they don't seem to be used as much or if at all.

Do you think video game lives should be used anymore?

They seemed mainly relevant when there was no way to "save" your game.  Consoles have hard drives now so you save your progress.  Thank goodness for that! :grin:

Lives still matter for fighting games like Street Fighter, and Mortal Kombat because one of the points of fighting games are to beat your opponent till they have no more energy, so you can fight the next fighter.

froggyboy604 said:
Lives still matter for fighting games like Street Fighter, and Mortal Kombat because one of the points of fighting games are to beat your opponent till they have no more energy, so you can fight the next fighter.
hrmmm, that's not really a live system, it's more of a k/o thing.

Demon_Skeith said:
hrmmm, that's not really a live system, it's more of a k/o thing.
I see,

I think lives still do matter for certain types of games like single player first person shooters where after you get shot too many times, you die, and you need to start from where you last saved the game, or the entire level over again.

In nintendo games yeah. Mario, Fire emblem, donkey kong, etc.

Even in games like Pokemon you need lives. I still see lives in games quite important. Where did you notice them not mattering?

Demon_Skeith said:
That's the thing though, I really don't see many games like that which you start over. It's mainly check points restart with infinite lives.
I think check points, and infinite lives in games are to attract newbie gamers which may not want to start over because they would be starting over a lot because they are new to the game, or new to gaming, so they're not very good at the game.

Super Bowser Bros. said:

Even in games like Pokemon you need lives. I still see lives in games quite important. Where did you notice them not mattering?
I haven't played the recent donkey kong so I can't say. Fire emblem and pokemon are like RPGs so it's kind of like a life line thing. And Mario, you die a few times and you can make yourself invincible.

Super Bowser Bros. said:

People still play Mario? lol

I don't personally see them as lives anymore now to be honest as you always respawn just it's always at a checkpoint. I believe they should probably be called something else now they are not what they used to be years ago which is so many lives and you're out so to speak. The only thing that annoys me now about losing a life is being respawned way back at a checkpoint because I just missed one checkpoint when I died.

What console are they on?  I never beat Super Mario Brothers even using the cheat where you run across the top of the screen to skip like 5 levels. lol

In general, video games have changed to accomodate the new gamers and "casuals". Lives rarely matter anymore, since most modern games go to a lot of trouble to ensure that you die less.

But there are exceptions. Tales of Graces F may have an okay storyline, but the gameplay is no slacker. The bosses WILL wipe you across the floor if you're not careful. (Unless you're a "piggybacker", then the bosses are toast most of the time.) The difficulty levels themselves are actually difficult too.

You'll also find difficulty with some independent games too.

Back