Do people pick Apple computers because there are no other reliable PCs at some store?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
It is possible that the only reliable PCs being sold at a store are Apple computers, and the rest of the Windows laptops and desktops with Windows operating systems are less reliable because they are cheaply made with poor quality parts. I seen some poorly made Windows computers at stores, and a lot of stores seem to sell mostly cheap Windows computers, and a few nicer looking Windows PC which may last longer.

Apple computers maybe expensive, but they have fewer hardware problems according to a Consumer Report Survey from 2015 compared to other computer brands where the PC may break before the warranty, or shortly after the warranty time after a few months to years when your warranty is over.

v13U2gm.jpg

I think if you want a reliable Windows computer, you need to build your own PC, or hire a custom PC builder which uses higher quality parts from good hardware brands like Cooler master power supplies, Curcial RAM, Gigabyte motherboards, etc, and not buy pre-built Windows computers which sometimes uses the worse computer parts which are not made to last long.

Yes, this looks accurate to me.
I can agree that Apple might seem to ship expensive laptops, but in the end it all compremises.

Like, you buy a new Apple laptop for 1200 EUR, and you can keep using it for 10 years.
Anything else I bought before might have costed me 400 EUR, but had to get a next one 1 or 2 years later because fatal hardware failures.
Assume you're buying a 400 EUR laptop once every 2 years, so that's 5 times you buy one in 10 years time, and 400 * 5 = 2000.
So in the end, Apple is actually cheaper than the rest.

However, I don't really stick with the OS it ships.
I would install a Linux distro of choice on a MacBook (or any Windows laptop) right after unboxing for much more convenience.
However, since Apple has removed premu every port I need, I might reconsider my choice of laptop when I need to buy the next one again.
Might as well go for one from companies like Purism or System76, since they ship laptops that are 100% certainly compatible with Linux (Microsoft does everything to prevent Linux from being installed on Windows laptops these days).

You can still install Windows on a Mac though.
Last time Apple computers were locked to their own OS was 2006, because they were still using PowerPC-based processors.
But when they switched to Intel-based processors instead, installing a different OS instantly became possible.

Shame it can be hard using an apple though if you've grown up on windows.

There is bootcamp which let you dualboot windows, mac os x, or you can use a virtual machine software like virtualbox, and vmware to run windows within a virtual hard drive file.

But, the keyboard layout, and the Apple 1 button mouse and touchpad are different from Windows keyboard and 2 button mouse,

But, the keyboard layout, and the Apple 1 button mouse and touchpad are different from Windows keyboard and 2 button mouse,
It's not as different as you say really.

Function keys are reachable using the "Fn" key, and there's commonly a way to swap this around.
A Windows keyboard has a layout of "CTRL → Windows → Alt", while an Apple keyboard has a layout of "CTRL → Alt → CMD".
On Windows and Linux, the "CMD" and "Windows/Super" keys function the same way, but on macOS, you'll need to keep in mind that what's CTRL on all the other OSs is CMD on macOS.

Mice having only 1 button is what I hear way too often.
If you talk about a mouse, there are settings to make it a 2 button mouse, it can detect whether it should act like a left click or right clikc depending on where on the mouse you clicked.
On laptops, you can simply click with 2 fingers to emulate a right click, which is what modern days laptops of all brands also do any way.

And if you don't like it, it's still possible to plug in a USB keyboard and/or mouse (or Bluetooth if you really want to).

Sent from a MacBook Pro with only Linux installed (so no macOS or Windows partitions here).

Back