Do some games work better on home consoles?

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Because for me it seems like this is the case with a lot of multiplayer games, simply because it's much easier and more cost effective to play the home console ones with friends offline than to play the handheld ones.

Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros seem like good examples of this. I mean, I like Mario Kart 7, and will probably like the 3DS Smash Bros game when it comes out, but there's something that's missing on a home console, namely the ability to easily play with people who don't own the game or console.

That's what kept me playing Brawl and Mario Kart Wii so long, anyone could just walk into the room and have a go at multiplayer. If I wanted to go against someone I knew who wasn't much of a video game fan, they could just pick up the second controller and jump right in. That seems like it's going to be missing with Mario Kart 7, because I don't know anyone who'd be willing to buy a £100+ games console and a £40 game just to try out multiplayer. Sure, we can play online, but only one at a time with random strangers or people I know only from the internet.

In fact, wouldn't it be awesome if the Wii U could be made to fix this? It's got a second screen in the controller, and the controller could even work sort of like a 2D 3DS console. You'd connect up the 3DS, it'd transmit the image onto the TV and then send the second player's view to the Wii U controller. You could then have it work like Mario Kart Wii, where someone without the game or console could choose a character and such like and treat the Wii U tablet controller like a 3DS. That'd be awesome and fix any and all problems with handheld games and multiplayer instantly. Heck, maybe even an option to turn a 3DS game's view to a traditional split screen one and have the joy of playing 3DS games on a widescreen TV or home cinema?

But do you think this is a good point?

I agree. Like I can play Mario Kart Wii for hours, but I can only play MKDS for like a few minutes before I'm bored with it.

In fact, wouldn't it be awesome if the Wii U could be made to fix this? It's got a second screen in the controller, and the controller could even work sort of like a 2D 3DS console. You'd connect up the 3DS, it'd transmit the image onto the TV and then send the second player's view to the Wii U controller. You could then have it work like Mario Kart Wii, where someone without the game or console could choose a character and such like and treat the Wii U tablet controller like a 3DS. That'd be awesome and fix any and all problems with handheld games and multiplayer instantly. Heck, maybe even an option to turn a 3DS game's view to a traditional split screen one and have the joy of playing 3DS games on a widescreen TV or home cinema?

sorry if I miss-interpreted this. So the WiiU controller acts like a 3DS, you connect both to the WiiU & play a game like MKWii, where you can use the 3DS & controllers to play on those while it shows on the TV? If I got that right, then hell, that sounds awesome! almost sounds like what they did with the Gamecube. you know, use the Gameboys as controllers as you play, let's say Wind Waker on the gameboy, showing up on the TV...or something like that....They also did that With Pokemon battle Revolution & the DS'...)-) But yea, it'd be pretty damn cool.

Yeah, pretty much. You could play Mario Kart 7 in four player with just one 3DS and copy of the game, or even in split screen mode on the TV.

Back