Do some PC users think most computer with a DVD disc drive is better than a PC without a disc drive?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think some people may think computers with DVD disc drives are better because the computer should at least be fast enough to play a DVD video disc. In the past, there were some computers which were too slow to play DVD movie discs, and older operating system like MS-DOS did not support DVD video disc playback.

Some computers without disc drives in the past were also slow and cheaply made.

I think most slower Netbooks/cheaper mini-laptops also did not come with DVD disc drives which was somewhat disappointing because many people did not have fast internet connections for watching Netflix, or Netflix may not be available in their country.

Some of those cheaper Netbooks were kind of slow, and cheaply made.

A lot of People also dislike Google Chromebooks because they think they can just use Chrome, and are kind of slow. Plus, they can't watch Dvd movie discs.

There are also mini-desktops and thin computers without disc drives, and some of these mini-desktop pcs only have 2GB or less RAM, and a slower mobile Intel Atom or Celeron CPU which sometimes become very slow when the CPU overheats. I think some of these slower mini desktops without disc drives may of caused some users to think computers without disc drives are usually not as good.

Last edited:
This might be my personal experience, but I always noticed that when disc dives were more common, it was more used for installing software and backing up files more so than using it for actual video playback.

Now that the price of flash drives and external drives went down, a lot of software just being digital downloads, and also the rise of streaming services, disc drives are kind of pointless for most people. I have disc drives, but rarely even use them. I even own an external drive for the computers that don’t have one, and I’ve used it like... twice.

They also used to be convenient for reinstalling OS’s, but thanks to the ability to boot from USB, or Mac’s download from Apple’s servers, it also made it seem more unnecessary.

Also most people who watch movies and stuff from DVD’s most often own a DVD player, or just use their game console to watch movies and stuff on it, as opposed to using their computer.

Yep, some people still use CD/DVDs and want that without something hanging out.

Yep, some people still use CD/DVDs and want that without something hanging out.

I think many people require the use of CD/DVD discs because they live in a town or country with expensive and slow internet, or no high speed internet at all.

It can be cheaper and faster to buy a Blu-Ray movie disc or TV series disc set from a local store than subscribe to faster internet. Occassionally, there are sales on DVD movies and music CDs where you can get them for around $10 or less.

I think some TV series and movies are only available on discs because Netflix, Hulu , etc never made a deal with the movie or TV series to put their videos online.

To be honest, it is better to have a slot. Not everyone likes to stream in all the countries.

I prefer DVD reader in my laptop.

I think one of the less noticeable advantages of having s computer with a DVD drive is that a computer with a DVD drive is that you can re-use the SATA or IDE/PATA data cable from the DVD drive on a PC and port and drive bay to install an extra hard drive or SSD if you don't need the DVD drive.

no one really does dvd software anymore.

I think some people may still burn DVD disc with 4.4 GBs of free software, game and operating system installer files to a DVD disc to give to friends because the person don't trust the friend to not damage, break, lose or steal their more expensive USB flash drive or hard drive, and not look at their private data on a USB drive.

Some USB drives and USB ports have slow data transfer speeds, so you need to wait many minutes to transfer many GBs of files to another PC, so giving someone a DVD disc full of large files can be more convenient than waiting many minutes for a USB drive to transfer files over to their PC before removing the USB drive from their USB port.

The internet can be slow in some places which use slower dial-up or DSL internet where it may take many hours to days to download 4.4 GB of files, so a disc full of files would be more convenient and cheaper.

Last edited:
I still have the software of my printer on DVD and this saved me few times already.
I can't find it in the internet for some reason, so without it I would had to replace my printer a long time ago.

Those old printer and other hardware software drivers can be hard to find, and users risk getting a virus if they download the printer driver from a less trustworthy 3rd-party website download websites which are not the official printer website or Windows Update site.

I think software drivers for some printers and other hardware are not allowed to be shared on the internet because of the copyright laws which ban users from sharing them on the internet, or making extra copies to sell or giveaway. Users may risk getting arrested sharing printer software from their printer maker without written premission from the printer maker.

Those old printer and other hardware software drivers can be hard to find, and users risk getting a virus if they download the printer driver from a less trustworthy 3rd-party website download websites which are not the official printer website or Windows Update site.

I think software drivers for some printers and other hardware are not allowed to be shared on the internet because of the copyright laws which ban users from sharing them on the internet, or making extra copies to sell or giveaway. Users may risk getting arrested sharing printer software from their printer maker without written premission from the printer maker.

Interesting. Indeed I was wondering why I can't find the drivers for my printer online...

While I do agree that it’s dumb when your old printer still works and the ink is still easily found, new printers are pretty cheap. What I do hate is that the printer market is a joke now where people say “the ink costs more than the printer”.

While I do agree that it’s dumb when your old printer still works and the ink is still easily found, new printers are pretty cheap. What I do hate is that the printer market is a joke now where people say “the ink costs more than the printer”.

For some printers the ink cartridge cost the same price as the printer. This is ridiculous!

I think some people may still burn DVD disc with 4.4 GBs of free software, game and operating system installer files to a DVD disc to give to friends because the person don't trust the friend to not damage, break, lose or steal their more expensive USB flash drive or hard drive, and not look at their private data on a USB drive.

Some USB drives and USB ports have slow data transfer speeds, so you need to wait many minutes to transfer many GBs of files to another PC, so giving someone a DVD disc full of large files can be more convenient than waiting many minutes for a USB drive to transfer files over to their PC before removing the USB drive from their USB port.

The internet can be slow in some places which use slower dial-up or DSL internet where it may take many hours to days to download 4.4 GB of files, so a disc full of files would be more convenient and cheaper.

Sadly you can no longer put W10 onto discs of that size, since the 1900 update is at least 5 GB. And my attempts of putting it onto a dual layer disc don't make it seem to work as well.

I still have the software of my printer on DVD and this saved me few times already.
I can't find it in the internet for some reason, so without it I would had to replace my printer a long time ago.

usually that means the software won't work on W10.

I'm someone who has to sell printers, it is so hard to do so because people want reliable printers.

For some printers the ink cartridge cost the same price as the printer. This is ridiculous!

That's because printers are made of cheap plastic stuff that a tiny spec of dust will wreck any sensor in it, which all printers are sold at a loss and the profit is made up by ink sales.

Sadly you can no longer put W10 onto discs of that size, since the 1900 update is at least 5 GB. And my attempts of putting it onto a dual layer disc don't make it seem to work as well.

User can burn an older version of Windows 10 to a DVD-R , and upgrade to 1900 from Windows Update at a latter time.

I use Windows 10, so I guess I have some luck :)

Windows 10 does seem to be compatible with some older software like games and hardware.

I'm surprise all computer parts like video card, sound card, network card, etc installed on a Windows Vista PC work in Windows 10 after upgrading to Windows 10.

Windows 10 does seem to be compatible with some older software like games and hardware.

I'm surprise all computer parts like video card, sound card, network card, etc installed on a Windows Vista PC work in Windows 10 after upgrading to Windows 10.

Microsoft did a great job with Windows 10.
I had Windows XP and Windows 7 before on the same computer, and Windows 10 works faster and smoother while supporting all my devices.

Back