Do we blame Universities for unemployment?

Henrywrites

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
A lot has been happening and there are people that think that universities have not done enough in training their students to get job faster. What do you think about such thought contributing to high unemployment?

Blame the government for not creating job opportunities not the school.

Government competes with the other jobs though. They make jobs harder to come by. All the layoffs we see in businesses are a response to the volatility and overprinting of money. Or you could always work for them.

I blame unemployment on the people who don't have or want a job in the first place, caused by drugs, gang violence, low rates of pay, unaffordable housing, and geographical location restrictions.

I feel Universities could do a better job at teaching students on how to be better prepare for job interviews, tips on looking for work in a choosen career, and helping students meet with employers after graduation.

I feel Universities could do a better job at teaching students on how to be better prepare for job interviews, tips on looking for work in a choosen career, and helping students meet with employers after graduation.

Universities never failed in that part in my opinion.

Universities never failed in that part in my opinion.

I agree Universities can be good at helping students find jobs after graduation .

There maybe a few things Universities can do to help students find a job, or improve the chance students can get more job interviews and get hired.

I think business and entrepreneurship needs to be taught a lot more starting from schools itself. Universities technically aren't doing anything wrong because you're paying for an education and that's what you're getting.

I think business and entrepreneurship needs to be taught a lot more starting from schools itself. Universities technically aren't doing anything wrong because you're paying for an education and that's what you're getting.

They need to or at least ensure those who want a job with said education get it, they cost too much just to offer a scrap of paper.

They need to or at least ensure those who want a job with said education get it, they cost too much just to offer a scrap of paper.

That sounds good on paper but nothing can really guarantee a job no matter how good the education is because the companies aren't controlled by the universities.

You choose what you wanna read. The university should never be held responsible for your decision.

You choose what you wanna read. The university should never be held responsible for your decision.

My decision is to pay universities, so I can make my country better as I further my education to help local areas. It is only in their best interest to help me get jobs, so they get more people to make the decision to pay them for better education.

My decision is to pay universities, so I can make my country better as I further my education to help local areas. It is only in their best interest to help me get jobs, so they get more people to make the decision to pay them for better education.

How are the Universities going to help one get a job? They have done their part when you were still a student. Getting a job falls out of their jurisdiction.

How are the Universities going to help one get a job? They have done their part when you were still a student. Getting a job falls out of their jurisdiction.
Which is why they can't prove you will get a new job. It's like you are leaving your hope in someone else greater than you you know nothing about.

Governments don't have as much control over the job market as people think. Governments are there to regulate markets, so the world doesn't turn into a Cyberpunk distopian version of a banana republic. The only jobs a government can create is a government job. How many of us work for the state?

The problem is -and always has been- primary/high school. The rigid, re-education camp-style K-12 school system began in the early 20th century, during the industrial revolution. It was designed that way to prepare students -from an early age- to be prepared for the repetition and rigid schedules of classic-era factory work, where working for Ford or Crystler guranteed you $5 a day, for roughly 8 hours of labor. Kids are taught to stay quiet, do repeditive memory work, have their work inspected, and aren't allowed to exercise critical thinking skills, because that is exactly the type of factory worker companies need to manufacture goods.

The problem is, this school system is well adapted for factory work, but not for the modern era, where most jobs require you to have a brain, where critical thinking skills and leadership could mean the difference between life and death.

People just want another scapegoat to blame for their own misfortunes or poor decisions.

This is exactly what it's been for so long. No one ever wants to take responsibility for their own actions.

This is exactly what it's been for so long. No one ever wants to take responsibility for their own actions.
I’ve seen people get picky with their job, or think they’re too good for an entry position (when it’s their first time) just because they have a degree.

If you have 10 years of experience, you can be picky over an entry tier, but fresh out of college with no experience? Noob status you go.

Back