Do you care a lot about the Pre-installed operating system and software with most devices you buy?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I don't care as much about the pre-installed operating system which came with my devices like smartphone, tablets, PCs, etc. I mainly care about the price of the device and the quality of the computer parts.

I don't usually like the pre-installed operating system and bundled software because they contain bloatware/crapware, or un-needed programs which can slowdown the device. The device maker may also change a setting like making the font size or screen resolution smaller or too big which make the OS more annoying to use.

I think doing a clean install of Windows, Linux, or using a Custom-ROM for Android can improve the user experience for a device rather than sticking to the default Windows install which come with a device.

In most cases, no.
Apple and Microsoft are the only ones not to include bloatware on their devices, but that's because they already profit from hardware and software sales in 1 shot.

But I'm not really pleased with the direction of Windows and macOS (I started to like both a decade ago though), likewise can be said about Android and iOS (which is why I'm glad we will be getting a phone from Purism in 1.5 years from now, the duopoly on the phone market really makes me consider to get a flip phone instead once my subscription ends).

Last edited:
With windows based computers I will do a clean install to remove the junk but with Android I just stick with the ROM that it comes with since it easy to brick your phone.

In most cases, no.
Apple and Microsoft are the only ones not to include bloatware on their devices, but that's because they already profit from hardware and software sales in 1 shot.

But I'm not really pleased with the direction of Windows and macOS (I started to like both a decade ago though), likewise can be said about Android and iOS (which is why I'm glad we will be getting a phone from Purism in 1.5 years from now, the duopoly on the phone market really makes me consider to get a flip phone instead once my subscription ends).

I am also not please with the way Windows is going. It seems that Windows is using more storage space, and coming with more Apps, and games which many users may never use, or want. There are also news reports of privacy concerns when using Windows which may make using Windows less comfortable for people who want to prevent their data from being uploaded to Microsoft's server.

Privacy concerns have been present for many decades actually.
The difference is that Microsoft doesn't keep the fact they're spying on you a secret in Windows 10.
Despite them announcing what telemetry they exactly collect, it's still not known whether they said everything or not, since the OS is closed source, and it's therefore impossible to know for certain.

But I'm not an American politician, so I won't say I know something for 100% sure while I lack any kind of evidence to rely on.

Privacy concerns have been present for many decades actually.
The difference is that Microsoft doesn't keep the fact they're spying on you a secret in Windows 10.
Despite them announcing what telemetry they exactly collect, it's still not known whether they said everything or not, since the OS is closed source, and it's therefore impossible to know for certain.

But I'm not an American politician, so I won't say I know something for 100% sure while I lack any kind of evidence to rely on.

I think it maybe possible for governments or a bad employee inside Microsoft to inject secret and hidden spyware codes and programs into Windows without MS knowing, so the governments, and a bad employee can collect online data for their own personal reasons.

They can, but why would Microsoft admit so many times it's actively collecting telemetry then?

This video might seem irrelevant, but it does include certain parts that are about NSA spying:

There is just so much bloatware of PCs anymore its ridiculous. When I get a new one I just format my HDD and just throw in a clean W10 OS and go from there. Quicker than removing bloatware that may still be lingering.

With windows based computers I will do a clean install to remove the junk but with Android I just stick with the ROM that it comes with since it easy to brick your phone.

It's pretty easy to root a phone these days, if you know the right sites they have a very detailed guide on how to root a phone and do so without bricking it.

There is just so much bloatware of PCs anymore its ridiculous. When I get a new one I just format my HDD and just throw in a clean W10 OS and go from there. Quicker than removing bloatware that may still be lingering.

A lot of the times, the bloatware's uninstallers are not very good, and a lot of files and folders are left behind, so doing a clean install of Windows will give users back more free space instead of manually uninstalling the bloatware from a new PC.

It's not too hard actually.
Microsoft and Apple branded computers come with an OS without bloatware.
Same goes for laptop manufacturers that pre-install Linux on laptops, such as Purism and System76.

I typically want just the OS and no extra bloatware but that's hard to come by these days.

I agree, it is hard to come by a computer sold at a store with no bloatware unless you are willing to pay more for a Microsoft or Apple branded computer which usually cost more than a similar computer from HP, Dell, Asus, and Acer which may contain bundled programs which are considered Bloatware.

Buying a pre-built barebones computer without an operating system, and installing an operating system by yourself can be a cheaper alternative for buying a pre-built computer without bloatware. There are also barebones computers which require you to buy and install your own hard drive, and operating by yourself.

A lot of the times, the bloatware's uninstallers are not very good, and a lot of files and folders are left behind, so doing a clean install of Windows will give users back more free space instead of manually uninstalling the bloatware from a new PC.

I use uninstaller 7, it actually removes registry keys and all.

Yup but then again, it's not a compulsion for me.
Everything comes down to how I feel about it I suppose. Hmm....if that device is good then I wouldn't really bother about pre-installed stuff at all.

Back