Do you complete side quests?

IntoxNitram

GamingLatest Slave
Staff member
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Are you someone who feels the need to complete as many side quests as you possibly can in order to fully feel like you have completed the game? I do the occasional few to break away from the main quest but never do them all - I just don't find them that interesting. 

Good god I'm playing Xenoblade chronicles right now and this game is crazy filled with side quests to the point you get bored doing them all.

Anyways, I do them pending if they are either fun or interesting to do.

also this is worth a chuckle:

http://www.dorkly.com/post/74364/the-truth-about-side-quests

Yeah I normally do a couple and if they are decent I will do more. If a game was particularly fun - i.e. GTA 5, then I will occasionally go back and play the side quests on occasion.

I'm the type of gamer that loves exploration and often finds side quests (and thus completes them) just by exploring every nook and cranny. I found almost all the hidden stuff in final fantasy 6, and this was before the internet, or walk thrus. Made shadow have all of his dream sequences to get his striker dirk ultimate weapon, found the island with the boss battle that if you let him "kill you" (by swallowing you) you'd go to another world and find an optional character (gogo the mime). There were other hidden things too.

That's why I think I was disapointed in FF7, it was a lot more linear and loss that sense of adventure that FF6 had. FF6 made players think, and explore, and learn things for themselves instead of being spoon fed everything.

So yes, if side quests are a result of hidden goodies and encourage exploration, I'm all for them

If they just exist for grinding, and are given by some dude with an exclamation mark on his head, and a red flag on your minimap, not as exciting. It kills the adventure and exploration that I love so much.

I like to complete sidequests on RPG games like Final Fantasy. In some of those RPGs, it would take longer to finish the side quests than the main story. And also by completing side quests, you gain access to all the hidden weapons, summons, magic, things like that. I think side quests a necessary to complete an RPG a hundred percent. Side-quests are also very fun to do, being able to go to new places and meet new characters.

In general I do try to complete a lot of side quests. It's not a mandatory part of gaming for me but if I enjoy a particular game then of course I want to play as much as possible. Side quests also help in general, giving you experience and items that make you stronger.

I think possibly one of the best side quests are the Dark Brotherhood ones in the Elder Scrolls series. Those quests were a million times better than the main quests in all of the games that I've played!

Yeah I quite like doing side quests :) Adds a nice touch to the main game and it helps with experience points or whatever you gain from doing it. I find it helps completing them to beat the main game easier!

I pretty much feel like I haven't completed the game if I don't finish the side quests, and I feel somewhat morally responsible to do so :grin:. It's a little bit strange, I know, but I really like to complete them all. Of course I don't a lot of times.. and then I just don't finish the game.

I'm sort of a perfectionist, so yes I'll do the side quests if there are any.

At the moment I am playing through GTA V on the Xbone and I'm going through the diffierent characters side quests, even though some are not necessary for 100% completion

Well, I must admit that I don't always follow the main questline. For example, I'd played Skyrim for more than 1000 hours and I'd just recently finished the main questline with Alduin. It had taken me that long. Same is with other games. I mostly explore for as long as I can, do some side quests, maybe start on a main quest and then do the exploring again. 

I remember that I really didn't want to play the Dragonborn questline with Miraak. I held out for as long as I could. And then when he started stealing my souls, I realised it was time to finish it, but were it not for that, I probably wouldn't have.

Don't know why, but somehow I always end up doing other things when playing games - just not what I'm supposed to do.

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.
It depends on what I want to do at that moment.

I do them just for completion purposes... for example, there are side missions in Yakuza 6 that can keep you occupied until you advance on the main story. I mostly attempt to do them on the first play-through of the game, sometimes I wait until there is a new game+ mode and do it all

If the game is interesting and the side quests themselves are good I will complete them.

In the Harry Potter games, I've always tried to complete whatever side quests there were. In other games, it may vary from game to game.

I think the only games where I actually care about the side quests are Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead Redemption 2. And even then, I only really complete some of them. The problem for me is if you go past the place to start it, it's annoying to go back there and find the person to start it with.

Back