Do you do open world content?

IntoxNitram

GamingLatest Slave
Staff member
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Filler things like collecting things, simple fetch quests, discovering locations, etc. are big in games nowadays. Do you tend to bother with them? I very rarely touch them myself as I find them boring but will sometimes do a couple.

Depends on how you implement this.
Open world is the very reason why I'm still playing Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine today, and gave up on both Galaxy and 3D Land/World games long ago.

The way SM64, SMS, SM64DS, and now SMO too implemented it is to give players complete freedom to go wherever they want to go to at any moment.
This allows you to discover countless of things while you didn't beat the game yet, and still find even more things afterwards.

SMG1, SMG2, SM3DL, and SM3DW feel more like games that push you to hurry up and finish the level you're currently in already.
I can't complain about Super Mario Bros. 1/2/3/USA, Super Mario World 1/2, Super Mario Land 1/2, Super Mario Advance 1/2/3/4, New Super Mario Bros. DS/Wii/2/U, New Super Luigi, and Wario Land 1/2/3/4/Shake, because the overall design of these games is obviously meant for this type of games.

Depends on how big the world is (looks fearfully at Xenoblade 1/X/2 and Zelda breath of the wild) and how interesting the tasks are. I can tell you right now I will not complete that task on the Zelda game that requires you to gather hundreds of one item.

I love games that are open world like The Division, Tomb Raider, Deus Ex etc but there are games that has both open world and cloased world like need for speed and that annoys me. I wish that all the NFS games were open world.

I personally don't get much enjoyment out of the side quests and other open world content. I feel that it is all empty without the story actually moving forward.

Back