Do you enjoy installing a lot of software on older slower computers?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
On older and slower computers, I usually install many frequently used software like Word Processors, antivirus, antimalware, video chat app, music and video players, video and photo editors, and pc games.

I still prefer offline software even when they use more storage space and run slower in some cases.

I feel using online-only software like Google Docs, Stadia, Evernote, Spotify, YouTube, Netflix, etc is not yet reliable enough for me because my internet can randomly disconnect, or my modem and router break.

Online software like Google Docs is not much faster and somewhat less convenient than an offline alternative word processor like Libreoffice writer.

Stadia is pretty much a data hog from the set go, so I can understand that one.

Last edited:
on older and slower computers? Heck no.

on older and slower computers? Heck no.

Linux, Unix, and some mobile OS like Android x86 can run well on slower computers.

Most older and slower computers ususlly use an older Windows OS like Windows XP which is a more lightweight OS than Windowd 10. Installing and running Windows XP compatible software is not noticeably slower than running software on newer computers with Windoes 10.

But, Windows XP is no longer getting security updates, so users are less safe from computer viruses and malware.

Linux, Unix, and some mobile OS like Android x86 can run well on slower computers.

Most older and slower computers ususlly use an older Windows OS like Windows XP which is a more lightweight OS than Windowd 10. Installing and running Windows XP compatible software is not noticeably slower than running software on newer computers with Windoes 10.

But, Windows XP is no longer getting security updates, so users are less safe from computer viruses and malware.

honestly can anything affect something old like XP?

I still see many free Windows software which still are compatible with Windows XP and older OS like Windows 2000 when browsing free download sites like Download.com.

I think some software makers like Libreoffice and Gimp may still have many active Windows XP users who may more likely donate money or buy the software, so they can continue using their computer for doing work with XP compatible software without the need to upgrade Windows to continue using software.

No way

That's just bad. I don't think I can deal with a slow computer in the first place.

I sometimes install a lot of lightweight software like Media Player Classic, Netsurf web browser, and Foobar2000 music player because I find the bundled software like Internet Explorer which came with Windows OS is kind of slow on an old and slow PC.

I sometimes install a lot of lightweight software like Media Player Classic, Netsurf web browser, and Foobar2000 music player because I find the bundled software like Internet Explorer which came with Windows OS is kind of slow on an old and slow PC.

why use Foobar2000 music player when you can just use media player classic?

windows media player does the same.

I haven't used Windows Media Player for years for playing music files. I remember people used to install codecs to play ogg and flac files with Windows media player and older versions of Winamp.

I feel most music players are pretty much have the samr features these days except for the user interface. Most music players I use can play MP3, WMA, MP4, OGG, Flac, wav, cd discs, and other popular music formats.

Back