Do You Enjoy The Challenge of NES Games?

Dame6089

Full GL Member
Credits
Do you like the old NES games that are super unforgiving and really hard? I am not necessarily talking about the games that are unfair and borderline impossible to complete. I am thinking of games like the Mega Man and Castlevania series. I know some people find them tedious as it basically comes down to pattern recognition. I personally enjoy this and find it rewarding when I finally accomplish my goal.

I do like them, but I have to be in a certain mood to play them. Some days I just get too easily frustrated and it's not fun. I remember Castlevania in particular being a game that really frustrated me (still does sometimes). But you're right, I feel pretty accomplished when I win!

Boy, I never cared for Mega Man but Castlevania was one of my favorite titles for the regular NES. I could play that for days but there are so many games for that system that still make that system worth playing around with. I could never have enough patients to try and pass an entire game but to throw it on for nostalgic reasons suites me well. Contra and Ninja Gaiden are some of the few that would make me build up a collection again.

Ninja gaiden games from Nes were utter masochism. You just can't sidescroll to a previous screen because all the enemies respawn and it was really awkward and infurating to try an accurate jump. Don't confuse challenge with unfairly bad design choices.

I did back in the day, but these days I wouldn't have the blood pressure for it.

Do you like the old NES games that are super unforgiving and really hard? I am not necessarily talking about the games that are unfair and borderline impossible to complete. I am thinking of games like the Mega Man and Castlevania series.

I have to agree, I love the old games but they were freakishly hard, I don't understand why developers make them that way. Sometime I have played games where I really believed that there was no possible way to win, I just decided that they were made that way.

I have to agree, I love the old games but they were freakishly hard, I don't understand why developers make them that way. Sometime I have played games where I really believed that there was no possible way to win, I just decided that they were made that way.

I wouldn't agree that Mega Man and Castlevania are too hard. Well Castlevania has it's moments for sure haha. But I do think there were games liek Ninja Gaiden that were simply designed to be so brutally hard that you may never beat them. I'm guessing it was a way to make a game seem worth the money back in the day because it took a long time to complete.

I wouldn't agree that Mega Man and Castlevania are too hard. Well Castlevania has it's moments for sure haha. But I do think there were games liek Ninja Gaiden that were simply designed to be so brutally hard that you may never beat them. I'm guessing it was a way to make a game seem worth the money back in the day because it took a long time to complete.

I don't know if game developers even know that people don't purchase games for the simple reason that they determine a games worth if it's really hard to beat. Or at least that's how I feel, I don't buy for that reason, hell, I'm pissed If I don't think I can beat the game.

I remember some racing games that when I put the level on hard, I literally could not beat it, and I knew that other people could not beat it either because the way the game played, you just know that it was not meant to be beatable.

I do, I really do. But I like to think it doesn't come from a place of nostalgia, but from the need to play a type of game that (in my humble opinion) is not being satisfied in today's market. I'm talking about the tough but fair kind of games. There is a reason why Dark Souls gets so much hype and it is because sadly the evolution of gaming has taken us into a place where handholding has become sickening.

Of course there are games like Ninja Gaiden (Like shockwave said) where there is a real danger of you throwing the console out the window (hehe) but you can find a nice middle ground, the closest we've come to this that I can remember is the New Super Mario Bros. Games.

To be honest, not really. I like the originality and ideas of a lot of NES games, but I think many of them were really only hard because of bad design and a need to pad out the gameplay time.

I'd rather have something like a modern (but difficult) title, where the game is hard, but entirely fair and playable without constant trial and error.

Back