Do you feel safer when you have access to the Internet?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
The internet lets me know what is going on in the world, city, and even my local neighborhood, so knowing about an unsafe situation like riot earlier would give me more time to plan for dangerous events.

I think online news, posts, and alerts on active social networks like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, and news websites can be useful at alerting people to stay at home, or get out of town because of natural disasters like a forest fire, or flooding, and violent crimes like riots, terrorism, gangs, and cyberattack which may turn off or mess with the electrical and gas system.

TV, radio, newspapers, and word of mouth news from your friends and family can be slow, and unreliable at letting me know if there is something, or someone to look out for.

I took the title entirely differently. I thought you meant if you're out in public and you have internet access to avoid human contact. xD In which case yes. Though, as for what you mean, it makes me feel both safe and unsafe. Like, sure I know what's going on where, but at the same time it makes me paranoid. I'm terrified as hell of North Korea and the more I read about them testing missiles the more scared I get. One of these days they'll perfect it. It's not just NK either. I mean I'd love to travel to other places in the world, but the more I see horrible stuff happen the more I just want to stay inside.

I took the title entirely differently. I thought you meant if you're out in public and you have internet access to avoid human contact. xD In which case yes. Though, as for what you mean, it makes me feel both safe and unsafe. Like, sure I know what's going on where, but at the same time it makes me paranoid. I'm terrified as hell of North Korea and the more I read about them testing missiles the more scared I get. One of these days they'll perfect it. It's not just NK either. I mean I'd love to travel to other places in the world, but the more I see horrible stuff happen the more I just want to stay inside.

I imagine, concerned people who live in South Korea, and Japan may check social networks, and news sites more frequently, and set their smartphone and PC News apps to notify them of a missile launch test which may happen in a few hours to days where there is a chance of the missile hitting their country if the test goes wrong because the North Korean lose control of the missile, or put too much rocket fuel into the missile.

It can be a good thing that people who are afraid have enough time to take a train farther away, or take an airplane out of their country, but also scary that people need to prepare for missile attacks from North Korea.

Safer? Hmmm, not really but more like I can find out anything though and I always have a question on something.

Safer? Hmmm, not really but more like I can find out anything though and I always have a question on something.

Using the internet to see if a restaurants, and grocery stores has any food poisoning, and bugs, and rodent complaints can make some people feel safer buying food from restaurants or store which has no or fewer known complaints related to poor service like food poisoning, rotten food, and rodent and bug problems.

People can also use the internet to quickly contact the police, taxi car service, friends and family, and most people under the age of 70 with messaging apps, websites, and e-mail, now that most people own smartphones which are always connected to wi-fi, a dataplan, and wired internet if they use a USB to ethernet adapter. Being able to contact people online quickly can make some people feel more safe because they can call for help.

I wouldn't say safer. It doesn't do anything in regards of safety to be honest but I guess finding out breaking news can sometimes help. The terror attack alerts yesterday in London would have helped a lot of people know what areas to avoid

I wouldn't say safer. It doesn't do anything in regards of safety to be honest but I guess finding out breaking news can sometimes help. The terror attack alerts yesterday in London would have helped a lot of people know what areas to avoid

I agree the terror alerts would of help people know what areas to avoid espiecally if they set their smartphone to show social network app notifications, and follow a lot of local news websites, and government accounts for London, or use the internet to listen to local radio because fewer people carry around FM radios to listen to the news these days, and a lot of phones don't have FM radio like the pass.

Using the internet to see if a restaurants, and grocery stores has any food poisoning, and bugs, and rodent complaints can make some people feel safer buying food from restaurants or store which has no or fewer known complaints related to poor service like food poisoning, rotten food, and rodent and bug problems.

People can also use the internet to quickly contact the police, taxi car service, friends and family, and most people under the age of 70 with messaging apps, websites, and e-mail, now that most people own smartphones which are always connected to wi-fi, a dataplan, and wired internet if they use a USB to ethernet adapter. Being able to contact people online quickly can make some people feel more safe because they can call for help.

pretty sure I can't contact my local police with facebook.

pretty sure I can't contact my local police with facebook.

Government workplaces like the police department seem to be slower when it comes to joining new social networks, and tech.

More police stations have a Facebook account which is used for warning people of dangerous criminals, promoting the police station, and recruiting people who are interested in joining the police force.

The police may also use Facebook to receive tips on the location of known criminals who are hiding from the police, and receive pictures, audio recording, and video of people committing crimes.

They may check Facebook sometimes to see if anyone is in need of help where there phone can't get a cellular phone reception, so they only can use a unsecured non-password protected Wi-Fi, and websites or Apps like Facebook and Twitter to contact people.

People like kids sometimes only own a tablet which can't make phone calls unless you use a internet phone call app, or Skype. Some kids may use their Wi-Fi-Only tablets to contact the police on Facebook.

I like to think it be easier to troll them with social accounts or report fake things without being busted.

I saw a news stories where criminals trolled the police on the police's Facebook, and they latter got caught.

I think one of the problems with social accounts are they are used to report fake things without being busted.

Safer? No. Lots of things can happen when you're online. You can get a trojan from an unsuspecting site, you can get a virus or malware from just clicking stuff. So no I don't feel safer. Do I feel less bored? Definitely yes. Lots of things to do online, with a near-unlimited amount of websites that can cater to whatever it is you need or want at any given time. With the internet, you'll never be bored enough to just do your homework or whatever.

Safer? No. Lots of things can happen when you're online. You can get a trojan from an unsuspecting site, you can get a virus or malware from just clicking stuff. So no I don't feel safer. Do I feel less bored? Definitely yes. Lots of things to do online, with a near-unlimited amount of websites that can cater to whatever it is you need or want at any given time. With the internet, you'll never be bored enough to just do your homework or whatever.

If you have backups of your data to many USB drives, and other external storage devices, and you are more careful when browsing the internet, and opening files, the chance of getting malware, and malware destroying your data is greatly reduced.

One of the good things about computer files is that it is easy to backup your data to many types of storage devices like USB hard drives, and the internet offsite storage services like Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, etc, so you don't lose your data in a house fire, robbery if someone steals your smartphone, laptop, desktop computer, and USB hard drives.

In the past before the internet, if you had a building fire where a fire or water leak destroyed your data where it is unrecoverable. The fire or water leak can cause your whole business to be gone if you rely on your data like source code for a computer program or game, text for a book, song recording, or drawing which you are creating for making money with.

Last edited:
Back