Do you play as female character online?

I would never play as a female character online. I mean, I've played as female characters in games before because sometimes I feel like the story would work better with a female protagonist. However, I hear all the time about the harassment women get online in games, and I wouldn't want to go through with it. Sure I could follow up with, "I'm a guy," but before they know you're a guy, they'll assume you're a girl and go gung ho on being creepy.

The only time I picked a female character was for Red Dead Redemption 2. The reason I did that was that the character models just look so much better and it's easier to get a better-looking character as a female.

I don't play MMOs so the idea of creating a custom character to use doesn't happen. When I do play online games I sometimes play as female characters... But it depends on several factors.
1- What type of game is it? Does each character get their own individual kit (like Overwatch) or are they just a skin and the kits are assigned separate (Killing Floor 2)?
If the character and kit are combined then I play based on kit rather than how they look. So when I play Overwatch for example I tend to play a healer character. Most healers are female.

2- How large is the character? Or how do they compare?
Will the smaller character have a smaller hitbox and thus be harder to hit when playing?

3- What does the character sound like? And by extension what kind of lines do they have?
I'm not fond of the characters who only grunt or do monosyllabic replies. Also if they have an accent it's a plus for me (if the accent is done well... not like Vanille from Final Fantasy 13 who couldn't tell if she wanted to be Australian or British).

4- What does the character look like?
Sure this factors in some if the gameplay is 3rd person. But if it's first person then it makes almost no difference because you never see the character model yourself anyway. Except maybe at the win screen at the end.

I do, only because it gives me something good to look at :p

I don't usually pick female characters .

The armor design and stuff are cool for the male characters, so I choose them most of the time.

I may play as a female character if the character has special powers, vehicles, and weapons which are only available for a certain female character.

This pretty much lol. And honestly, cosmetic outfits/accessories, and sometimes even actual gear, look way better on female characters.
I would have hoped this was the case for Red Dead Redemption online but it really isn't. There is a real lack of options for female characters compared to the male character which is a shame.

Lol it's important for the PLOT of the game!

But I can't see the plot though...

A man of culture, I see.

*bows*

I would have hoped this was the case for Red Dead Redemption online but it really isn't. There is a real lack of options for female characters compared to the male character which is a shame.

Not exactly a place in time for females to be running about like lawmen.

Not exactly a place in time for females to be running about like lawmen.
I would have understood that reason but honestly, I think they're just being lazy like they have been with the rest of the online mode.

I wish I had my old screenshots of my female in Matrix On-line. Her name was Savinja. Plus she had a badass auto rifle and was part of an all female guild. :grin:

Good question.

I never do. My younger brother and the rest of my friends do, and for the same reason as you guys; They want to look at something nice while playing.

For me though, I feel like my character is an extension of myself, right down to the habits and attitude. Plus, the reason I really don't play as a female (especially in MMOs) is because I really don't like it when random strangers come up to you and suddenly play nice. It's hard to distinguish those, but later on it would turn out that they were trying to hit on you because they thought you were female.

In FFXIV, I played as a male Elezen and I would normally mute my mic on our Teamspeak because I already know the raid mechanics. People often joked that I was actually a female pretending to be a male; they thought so because my character is a "bishounen" Elezen and that I do not speak. I mean, imagine that. What more if I played as a female? XD

Back