Do you rent video games?

chelsknits

Full GL Member
Credits
For quite some time now I've been wanting to try to rent video games from places like Redbox but I'm worried that I might not get to actually finish the game. If the fees keep adding up every day I keep it, it might just be more worth it to buy the game. So my question is, have you ever rented a game and what was your experience with it? Was it worth doing or is it better just to buy them?

I have rented a few games from Redbox. Only when it's something I'm not sure I'll like. I usually just keep them for a day, and play the game a bit. I can tell within the first hour or so whether I like the game or not. If I do then I'll buy it, if not, I'm only out $3. I have been wanting to check out GameFly too.

I have rented a few games from Redbox. Only when it's something I'm not sure I'll like. I usually just keep them for a day, and play the game a bit. I can tell within the first hour or so whether I like the game or not. If I do then I'll buy it, if not, I'm only out $3. I have been wanting to check out GameFly too.
That's a good idea. I've thought about trying out GameFly myself, especially since they offer the free trial. At least then you have enough time to see if you'd like the service or not and if you don't, you can cancel before they start to charge you. I haven't really heard much about it from people though so it's been hard for me to judge if it's a service worth trying or not.

I haven't rented video games in years, I know the last time I rented was from blockbuster.

I would only rent a game if it was one of those that you could complete in a few hours and it has no replay value. Otherwise the premise seems rather stupid. Just imagine how angry you would be if you have to hand a game back in when you're only halfway through? This is especially awful if you get captivated in the story (Like I was with Uncharted 4) and then you don't get to experience the rest of it. Renting movies is one thing, since I don't enjoy watching a movie more than once anyway, but renting games is not my forte. Especially games with replay value.

There's no need for me to rent games, as a PC gamer :p. For console players I think it's not a bad deal though, particularly if you're just going to go through a single player game once and never touch it again.

Back in the day I used to rent video games but I haven't done that no for a number of years now. Here in the UK Blockbuster used to be one of the main places you could rent, but since they've closed down I'd imagine that not many people rent games anymore these days.

I only used to rent the brand new games anyway, just to get a feel of if I should buy it or not, and I wasn't renting them to play and try and complete them anyway so the prices didn't really concern me. New games are getting more and more expensive, so if you've got the chance to try before you buy, so to speak then I think most people would do, and that's basically the only reason I rented games in the first place.

I think that the list time that I rented a video game was when blockbuster still was a thing, but I still felt the pressure of giving them back without enjoying them properly or get to finish them with calm... And sometimes I feel like it would be a good idea to rent video games in one point but I think that this pressure is definitely what is stopping me to rent them... I feel the same way about renting movies, though.

I used to a couple of times, but the place I mainly did it from went bust a few years back. Since then I purchased games and played them (mainly because I am more into gaming nowadays anyway). I do plan on getting PS Now soon, which allows you to rent games, so that I can play through some older games on my PS4.

I used to rent games back in the day when movie rental was also still relevant, I remember going with my dad and renting Nintendo titles like Karateka, Bomberman and a ton more. It was like 1 bucks per day (I live in Romania so prices aren't that high) for one game and looking back on it it would've been a good idea to just outright buy the game, but my father wasn't really a fan of that because I used to get bored of games quite fast.
Little did he know that by renting games I would come across one of my favorite gaming series named Zelda, after a week he noticed that I played Zelda all day so he just bought a couple of the games from the franchise for me. That kept me busy for a while, haha.

I've never done this before. I didn't even know this was possible. I don't usually play story games though, so most likely I would not rent video games even if it was possible.

I rent games from Redbox occasionally, usually on a day when I can marathon through the story mode. I miss the variety Blockbuster had, the year before they closed I was stopping in every week (mostly for movies). All in all rental is still a good option if you just want to marathon a campaign or test out the multiplayer of a new release.

Never in my life have I wasted my time renting titles even though I get why gamers only did this to test out games. But now a days the demos defeat the purpose of doing that and its rare now that people are willing to play a game after they beat it. For me I just never felt the need to tease myself considering I was more on the collectors side and would keep games even if they were bad ones. So no, this was never for me and it most likely never will be.

Never in my life have I wasted my time renting titles even though I get why gamers only did this to test out games. But now a days the demos defeat the purpose of doing that and its rare now that people are willing to play a game after they beat it. For me I just never felt the need to tease myself considering I was more on the collectors side and would keep games even if they were bad ones. So no, this was never for me and it most likely never will be.

for me back in the day it was the cheapest way to get one of the latest video games. Plus most games could be beaten in 7 days.

I only rent a game as a demo, to see if i like all of the features and that my pc or console can run it well. If i like, i buy. Otherwise, i return it and only lose maybe 1-3 bucks. Better than spending 60 on a game and not liking it.

Back