Do you think Apple Safari or Microsoft Edge will be around longer in the future?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think Apple Safari will be around longer in the future because Apple users like using Apple software like iTunes, Quicktime, and iMovie because some Apple users are used to having less choice in software compared to Windows and Linux users which have thousands of choices in software like web browsers.

Microsoft may make a new web browser, and discontinue Microsoft Edge web browser like how Microsoft discontinued Microsoft Internet Explorer. I haven't been hearing a lot of good news or any news about Microsoft Edge after Windows 10 got released, so I think MS may end up making a new web browser to try to get back users who switched to Chrome, Firefox, and less popular web browsers like Opera, Maxthon, and Avant.

Microsoft may try to partner with Firefox, Opera, Avant or Maxthon, or buy another web browser company to use as their official web browser rather than making their own web browser.

If there are not enough loyal Microsoft web browser users, Microsoft may just ask users to use the Windows Store to download an approved web browser from the Microsoft Store.

Big OS makers typically push their own browsers.
It's a fact that Microsoft doesn't allow any alternative browsers in the Windows Store (something nobody even uses any way), that alone is a clear sign that Edge is here to stay.

I actually think Microsoft and Apple are better off offering a software repository rather than a software store.
Linux distributions do this for ages already, and while similar things do exist for Windows and macOS, both companies don't even try to consider those are things that exist.

Big OS makers typically push their own browsers.
It's a fact that Microsoft doesn't allow any alternative browsers in the Windows Store (something nobody even uses any way), that alone is a clear sign that Edge is here to stay.

I actually think Microsoft and Apple are better off offering a software repository rather than a software store.
Linux distributions do this for ages already, and while similar things do exist for Windows and macOS, both companies don't even try to consider those are things that exist.

I agree Edge is here to stay unless Microsoft Edge have a lot of security vulnerabilities, and privacy issues where it maybe safer for Microsoft just to uninstall Microsoft Edge, and tell people to use Firefox and Chrome if they want to be secure while browsing the web with a browser while Microsoft builds a new more secure and private browser.

I think Windows reputation may improve if they bundled a third-party web browser like Firefox or Chromium which is more secure, and private since Internet Explorer and possibly MS Edge does not have the best reputation when it comes to security, reliability, and privacy. Plus, IE is one of the more common ways for hackers to hack Windows.

Many people also use third-party web browsers like Firefox, and Chrome, and rarely use IE unless they are a website owner who uses IE to test how their site looks in IE.

A software repository would be good for people who are used to using software repository for installing, upgrading, and uninstalling software.

I highly doubt Microsoft will ever create a privacy focussed browser.
The deep state (CIA, NSA, and FBI) will never allow Microsoft to do that for real, since mass survelliance is very important to them for some reason.

Microsoft has been spying on you since the very beginning already, they only admitted this when they released Windows 10 previews because Edward Snowden already revealed all of this.
If he wouldn't have done that, I'm very sure Microsoft wouldn't admit it even now.

And since Windows 10 came out, private information has become their new revenue, just like what Google already did for ages already.
After all, if it's free and it comes from a big company, you are the product.

And another thing I forgot to mention: I heard that Windows 10 premu forces you to use Edge as your standard browser (making it impossible to change your standard browser to something else, despite having that option available).
I'm not sure if they already 'fixed' that, it's just what I've heard at one point.

I highly doubt Microsoft will ever create a privacy focussed browser.
The deep state (CIA, NSA, and FBI) will never allow Microsoft to do that for real, since mass survelliance is very important to them for some reason.

Microsoft has been spying on you since the very beginning already, they only admitted this when they released Windows 10 previews because Edward Snowden already revealed all of this.
If he wouldn't have done that, I'm very sure Microsoft wouldn't admit it even now.

And since Windows 10 came out, private information has become their new revenue, just like what Google already did for ages already.
After all, if it's free and it comes from a big company, you are the product.

And another thing I forgot to mention: I heard that Windows 10 premu forces you to use Edge as your standard browser (making it impossible to change your standard browser to something else, despite having that option available).
I'm not sure if they already 'fixed' that, it's just what I've heard at one point.

I agree, it is unlikely for Microsoft to make a fully private web browser where the government can't spy on MS web browser user with a backdoor in a MS web browser or a backdoor in the Windows operating system which let the government spy on IE and other Microsoft programs.

Most software from big companies may spy on users if the government tell them to spy on users.

They might be replaced by something else by their makers (like MS did with IE), but the same type of crappy browser will be there.

I don't have a lot of experience with Safari besides a few months in college, and it didn't seem too bad, but Microsoft Edge is terrible. I really miss IE. Even though I've been using Chrome because it links to my phone.

I don't have a lot of experience with Safari besides a few months in college, and it didn't seem too bad, but Microsoft Edge is terrible. I really miss IE. Even though I've been using Chrome because it links to my phone.

I think Safari is similar to older version of Google Chrome web browser which used to use the Webkit web browser engine like Safari which still uses Webkit web browser engine. Less popular web browsers like Midori, Gnome Web/Epiphany, and Maxthon still uses Webkit.

I used Safari for a short amount of time on an old Apple computer in the Library at school, and it works okay for browsing the web.

Back