Do you think ATMs are dying?

Gotta say, I never travel with cash. If I ever need cash, I go to an ATM and get as least out as I need.

I think cash from an ATM is still good for buying things on Craigslists where you need to meet people to buy stuff.

Craigslist buyers can meet up with a Craigslist seller close to an ATM, and decrease the risk of getting robbed by a robber before meeting up with the Craigslist seller close to the ATM

Most banks also have a security guard near the ATM, so you have protection from getting robbed inside the bank's ATM area where there is a guard, and video cameras.

Maybe in your area. Can't recall the last time I've seen a guard at an ATM.

Security Guards at banks' ATM area are mostly popular in big cities with more crime in North American countries like Canada and America.

that is concerning.

I agree it is concerning that there is no bank security guard in high crime areas. A lot of banks already make enough money off of bank fees, credit card late fees, and interest payments from car and home loans, so they can afford a security guard to protect the bank's costumers, machines like ATMs, desktop computers, laptops, printers, and the staff like bank tellers, and customer service staff.

I probably use a bank in a better neighborhood, or near-by town if the bank's ATM does not have any security guards. Some robbers who are drug addicts, and drunks can become very violent, and may even have weapons like a knife which they also use for self-defense if they are homeless.

Nobody gets mugged at ATM's here, you have a much rougher time at a convenience store or Metro PCS.

Sometimes, victims of muggings don't report the crime because they lost under $100. Some people like manly men may feel ashamed that a robber stole their money, and feel they are less manly because they can't defend themselves. These manly victims who want to appear manly maybe less likely to report the crime to the police which has a lot of manly police men working at the Police station.

A security guard is useful for preventing non-theft related crimes like stalking, harassment, voyeurism, and vandalism which can happen near the bank's ATM.

Sometimes, victims of muggings don't report the crime because they lost under $100. Some people like manly men may feel ashamed that a robber stole their money, and feel they are less manly because they can't defend themselves. These manly victims who want to appear manly maybe less likely to report the crime to the police which has a lot of manly police men working at the Police station.

Or maybe, it's because people at convenience stores and Metro PC's are more popular places to mug people. Especially at convenience stores, because that's where homeless drifters hang out to either bum money or steal money to get a 40 and a pack of cigarettes.

Or maybe, it's because people at convenience stores and Metro PC's are more popular places to mug people. Especially at convenience stores, because that's where homeless drifters hang out to either bum money or steal money to get a 40 and a pack of cigarettes.

Most convenience stores which I been to don't have beggars for very long because the store's staff like the manager tell beggars to leave, and not bother the workers and customers. But, occasionally, there maybe beggars in the store for a short period of time if the store's manager is busy, or ignoring his job.

Maybe in your area. Can't recall the last time I've seen a guard at an ATM.
Don't think I've ever seen a guard at an ATM either. I'm in the UK. We have security inside banks but only the big branches. There is a tiny bank near where I live and I'm 100% sure they do not have any security guards.

Don't think I've ever seen a guard at an ATM either. I'm in the UK. We have security inside banks but only the big branches. There is a tiny bank near where I live and I'm 100% sure they do not have any security guards.

Security guards seem to be mostly at the bigger and more popular branches where I live. The guards normally walk around the parts of the banks which the public is allowed to walk to like the ATM, bank teller section, and main door, so they are not always at one place.

That's a very weird thought...but because of digital wallets and such....cash transactions are decreasing at an alarming rate. Well, local stores and small stores still want the customers to pay in cash but probably that won't be the case, in another 10 years or so.

So, yeah I think they are dying

I saw a few news stories where people use Bitcoin Cryptocurrency ATMs to deposit money, and convert their local money to Bitcoin, and deposit the money into the users Bitcoin wallet, or transfer Bitcoin to someone else's wallet.

I think more ATM will exist to help users convert their physical cash, and local money in their bank savings account and credit card to Bitcoin, so people can use Bitcoin to buy things, or to store in their Bitcoin wallet.

Companies like Paypal, Amazon, and Google may have ATMs to let people deposit their physical cash into their Paypal, Amazon, and Google account, so they can spend it on digital and physical goods. Depositing money in an ATM seems more convenient than buying a giftcard code from a store. The giftcard code can get lost and stolen more easily than depositing cash into an account from an ATM.

In western countries and China? More than certain ATMs are losing their function.
In a country like Japan? ATMs over here are immortal; as long as the Japanese keep true to cash (in lots of places that aren't chain brands, cash is really the only way of payment over here, otherwise people occasionally use (Japan-issued) credit/debit card, or an IC card (SUICA, nanaco, Edy, ID, PASMO......it all depends on which store supports which, it's really a mess)).

There are countries like my one where people use cash more than debit/credit cards. Paying with a phone here isn't also popular.

ATMs are usually found in Legal North American Marijuana/Weed stores because credit card companies and banks don't let bank users to use their credit or debit card to buy recreational and medical Marijuana which they use to relax or as a way to treat their body pain to feel less pain. Plus, using an ATM to withdraw money is more private where your wife, husband, and other person with access to your bank account would not know what you spent your money on, and where you spent it.

Some people who are drug users don't want their relatives, and bank workers to know that they use their credit or debit card at a marijuana store after looking at their banking records which can be viewed by people who have access to the account.

One of the benefits of cash from an ATM is that it is safer than carrying hundreds of dollars in your wallet to pay for drugs because you only need to withdraw money from the ATM inside the store, and walk a few foot steps to the cashier's cash register to pay for drugs.

There are also prepaid credit and debit cards which you can buy at a grocery store where you pay the cashier money a certain amount of cash like $50 to deposit into a prepaid debit card which can be used at an ATM, or as a regular debit card for making online and offline purchases.

ATMs here are always indoors, and lots of ATM brands are only open during business hours.
Cash is indeed more private (though it doesn't necessarily need to be medication), but in many places that's not big corporate owned, cash is the only way of payment here (which is the primary reason people here use ATMs here so much).

Here you can't buy daily needs/ goods if you don't have a cash. The only way you can use your credit card here is on expensive gadgets, malls, high end restaurant. Which is hard as hell to find. You pick 10 store/establishment and only 2 will accept credit card. The rest prefer only cash.

Back