Do you think certain types of websites need better security then other sites?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Yes, I think Government websites like Whitehouse.gov needs excellent security since if some hacker or foreign government got control of the sites they can use it to spread false rumours which can be very bad.

Corporate, high traffic sites, and celebrity websites also need better security since corporations might have some enemies and competitors which want to bring their site down.

I also believe websites where a large percentage of your visitors are "tech savvy" like Computer tutorials, programming tutorials, networking tutorials, Computer security tutorial sites and IT websites, gaming sites, and electronic sites need better security since there can be a better chance of getting attacked by a hacker which stumbled on your site by doing a web search for something related to "computer security" and he or she gfot offended for whatever reason then some cooking website, or website on "the joys parenthood".

I look in Google Analytics logs and some of the keywords people used which lead them to my website are not that friendly like "how to hack a Truecrypt encrypted drive, hacking a password protected 7-zip folder, hacking a encrypted operating system." I didn't even post about anything hacking related except for "preventing people from hacking or seeing your private data."

This is why I try to keep my CMSes updated, make very strong password and usernames for the admin account to minimize the chances of getting hacked. Plus, I back up my database and files on a regular basis.

Google Analytics?

I say as long as your serious about a website that you own then you need to put in place the best security as you can.

Google Analytics is a website for figuring out how people found your website like what keywords they use and refering websites they found your link on.

I agree if your serious about a website. You should make an effort to keep your forum software, CMS, and every up to date and files and database backed up. Plus, don't use dumb passwords which are easy to guest like pass, password or admin.

Back