Do you think Game Streaming services like Google Stadia will let users borrow or rent a game streaming console for a cheap price?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think it is possible that Game Streaming services like Google Stadia may someday let users borrow or cheaply rent a game console for a few dollars a month to stream games to their TV. I read online that game streaming services don't need a powerful device to stream games, so Google Stadia can let poorer users borrow a cheap game console or a cheap device like a Chromebook, Chromecast, or Android device like a tablet to use for game streaming.

Game streaming services may also partner with Cable and internet companies who can rent a cheap game console or settop box like Android TV box to use for playing Google Stadia games on a TV.

I think it is possible that Game Streaming services like Google Stadia may someday let users borrow or cheaply rent a game console for a few dollars a month to stream games to their TV. I read online that game streaming services don't need a powerful device to stream games, so Google Stadia can let poorer users borrow a cheap game console or a cheap device like a Chromebook, Chromecast, or Android device like a tablet to use for game streaming.

Game streaming services may also partner with Cable and internet companies who can rent a cheap game console or settop box like Android TV box to use for playing Google Stadia games on a TV.
I guess you were right in that case but while dealing with Google I guess it's kind of some tough plans Google need to do to deal with rental thingy..

Rental services for devices are a bad idea. This is coming from someone who used to work in rentals. To keep it short, the customers are too much of a headache, and be a waste of money for the company. Especially when it comes to people who think they can keep the device, but not make payments.

Also, how cheap are we talking about here? There’s a certain price point where it’s not profitable, especially if it’s a price the majority of people can easily afford without rentals.

This is something that sounds cute to hypothesize over, but is really pointless in reality.

Monthly payments for a Google Android TV box for Google Stadia can be a good option to more slowly pay for a console like how some people use monthly payments to more slowly pay for a Google Android smartphone by making monthly payments until they finish paying for the entire smartphone price.

Letting users borrow or rent a console maybe good for users who plan on playing a game for a few hours or days like playing games at a birthday party, online gaming internet cafe, etc which is not located in your home where your consoles are located sort of like how Arcades which let you rent their arcade machine to play games for a few dollars or less.

Your opening statement is talking about renting cheap devices for poorer people, and smartphones aren't cheap.

If we're talking about prices for a console that's cheap, to look out for an individual that has a lower income, that would mean the console has to be cheaper than the current consoles. So under $300.

If we want to be pedantic about things, we can also look at used consoles, which you can get for about $150.

Now you take those prices, and compare it to a $500+ phone. If you factor in the big flagship phones that are significantly more expensive, now you can see why people would rather pay monthly for say, a Galaxy S10, as opposed to a $150-200 device.

Back