Do you think Google Chromebooks will ever come installed with 6GB of RAM?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I'm not sure if Google will let computers install 6GB of RAM on a Chromebook because it may confuse less tech savvy users which end up phoning Google or the computer maker, and say they are missing 2GB of RAM because their Chromebook just have 6GB of RAM instead of 8GB.

6GB of RAM also looks weird on the box, and the Chromebook maybe harder to sell since most people want 8GB or pay less money by buying a laptop with 4GB of RAM.

I think Chromebooks are not very profitable for computer makers since they are sold for low prices, and Google may control the pricing on Chromebooks, so the profits are low.

If the computer maker, and Google has a lot of technical support calls from less tech savvy users about only having 6GB of RAM instead of 8GB, the computer maker and Google may end up losing money by selling them a Chromebook. Hiring people to take technical support calls can get very expensive if you need to hire a lot of workers to talk to customers about their computer problems.

No, I don't think it will happen. I mean if you have 2 x 2GB sticks, that will perform better than having 1 x 2GB stick and 1 x 4GB stick due to a dual channel configuration being used.

chromebooks are pretty low end laptops right?

No, I don't think it will happen. I mean if you have 2 x 2GB sticks, that will perform better than having 1 x 2GB stick and 1 x 4GB stick due to a dual channel configuration being used.

I'm not sure if most Chromebook motherboards support dual channel RAM configurations. Many Chromebooks and very cheap laptop have the RAM installed on the Motherboard, and the RAM chip is unremovable without using a heat gun to melt the lead solder off the RAM and motherboard to remove the RAM chip.

chromebooks are pretty low end laptops right?

Most $200 Chromebooks are low end like $200 Windows 10 laptops like the HP Stream 11 laptop. But, a $200 Chromebook may have slightly better computer parts because you don't need to pay for Chrome OS unlike cheap Windows laptop where the Windows license is not free, so the computer maker needs to install cheaper parts like a slower CPU, RAM, and SSD to keep the price at $200, or sell the Windows laptop at a loss.

There are some Chromebooks like the Google Pixelbook Chromebook with an Intel Core i5 or i7, 8GB of RAM, 256GB of SSD, but they cost over $1000.

Hmm i don't think we could ever witness this.
Chromebook is a low end laptop and works using cloud after all

Still make it worthless, someone in brought in one of those low end HP stream laptops and I couldn't even run a virus scan on it.

The HP bundled pre-installed software like antivirus from Mcafee, and Norton sometimes run very slow when users also install other software like an antispyware, antimalware, firewall, and parental control software,

The Chromebooks' virus scanner is built-into the web browser's, and OS and firnware, so it uses less CPU and RAM resources. There are some Chromebooks with a faster CPU like an Intel i3 to i5 or Nvidia Tegra K1, so slowdown problems are less noticeable.

Older versions of McAfee seem to have more complaints from users on computer help forums.

I notice McAfee is used in many schools computer. I think McAfee Corporate version of its Antivirus for businesses/school is better than the regular version based on forum posts I read, and McAfee did not slow down the computers at school.

But, some people who post on tech forums maybe less tech savvy, and blame McAfee for slowing down their computer when other software like software they installed themselves, and other pre-installed software from HP is slowing down their PC, and McAfee like other antivirus is just scanning the programs which are running.

Last edited:
Back