Do you think Intel Celeron CPU are good enough for Most Basic tasks?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think the newer Desktop version of the Intel Celeron are good enough for most basic desktop tasks. I seen a few videos of people playing newer games with the newer desktop version of the Celeron, and a faster dedicated video card like Nvidia GTX 950 and 8GB RAM to run a game at a playable frame rate.

But, I think the Mobile Laptop/Tablet versions of the Celerons are still okay for basic tasks, but not good for gaming, or video editing because mobile CPU are designed to run slower to save battery life, and not run as hot in a laptop/tablet.

Last edited:
is a Celeron the same as a Pentium?

Hmm may it just me but I would go with an I3 at the low end.

I probably pick a Celeron for low end desktop tower computers where I mainly just use the PC for web browsing, office work, and watching video. The Intel i3 cost $100 or more on Amazon while a Celeron cost $40.

is a Celeron the same as a Pentium?

The Celeron is a lower end CPU compared to a Pentium. The Celeron usually has a slower clock speed for the CPU, and a smaller CPU cache size. A Celeron usually does not have features like quad-core CPU, hyperthreading, faster onboard video chips, and support for faster RAM found in the Core i3, i5, i7, i9 and Pentium Chips.

There are also laptop versions of the Celeron with slower speeds like 1.1 or 1.3 GHz. These Laptop Celeron chips are usually found on mini-PCs and $200 laptops like the HP Stream 11, or Acer C720 Chromebook.

I probably pick a Celeron for low end desktop tower computers where I mainly just use the PC for web browsing, office work, and watching video. The Intel i3 cost $100 or more on Amazon while a Celeron cost $40.

The Celeron is a lower end CPU compared to a Pentium. The Celeron usually has a slower clock speed for the CPU, and a smaller CPU cache size. A Celeron usually does not have features like quad-core CPU, hyperthreading, faster onboard video chips, and support for faster RAM found in the Core i3, i5, i7, i9 and Pentium Chips.

There are also laptop versions of the Celeron with slower speeds like 1.1 or 1.3 GHz. These Laptop Celeron chips are usually found on mini-PCs and $200 laptops like the HP Stream 11, or Acer C720 Chromebook.

wow, its even weaker than pentium? By these days standards it shouldn't be usable.

wow, its even weaker than pentium? By these days standards it shouldn't be usable.

A lot of users who just use their PC for basic tasks, and casual gaming still buy Celeron CPU.

I think the desktop Ceeron CPU for Tower PCs are okay for some if today's programs like MS Office, and Firefox.

That's why I would go with an I3 over a Celeron any day of the week. Too weak IMO.

I have to sell laptops at work, always have people coming in for a weak Pentium and I have to pull teeth to get them move up to an i3.

A lot of users who just use their PC for basic tasks, and casual gaming still buy Celeron CPU.

I think the desktop Ceeron CPU for Tower PCs are okay for some if today's programs like MS Office, and Firefox.

They still expect speed though and I know if even if they are fine with it out of the box that crap will be dead in 2 years tops.

They still expect speed though and I know if even if they are fine with it out of the box that crap will be dead in 2 years tops.

Many users who buy cheaper Celeron computers may buy them to type out their homework for high school english class, or use them to print out documents when connected to a printer, so these Celerons should work for simpke tasks.

I think tech savvy people who buy a Celeron CPU for around $40 would not expect high performance. The Celeron is a lot cheaper than a Core i5, and a Celeron cost less than most new software titles like MS Office, and video games.

I think if users stick to software like Libreoffice, WordPad, and Media Player Classic which can run at a good speed on slower computers, a Celeron would be useful for more than 2 years unless Windows raises the system requirements of Windows.

Most newer $250 Celeron computers now have 4 GB RAM, and SSD drive, so they open smaller software like web browsers, and media players at an acceptable to fast speed.

I think tech savvy people who buy a Celeron CPU for around $40 would not expect high performance. The Celeron is a lot cheaper than a Core i5, and a Celeron cost less than most new software titles like MS Office, and video games.
Don't forget the I3 :)

Don't forget the I3 :)

I think the i3 7100 and Celerons price difference is not very high where you won't need to spend over $100 by buying an i3 instead of a Celeron. But, you save more cash by using Celeron instead of the i5 which cost $200 for the CPU.

Celerons to me seem like Intel's "base" CPU. I'd prefer something better. But, I've used AMD and nothing else for the past 11 years. :)

Celerons to me seem like Intel's "base" CPU. I'd prefer something better. But, I've used AMD and nothing else for the past 11 years. :)

The Intel Atom found mostly on $100 laptops, and $100 Windows tablets are the base CPU for Intel.

The Intel Atom is mostly used for simple tasks like watching 480P to 720P video files, listening to music, e-mail, Instant messaging, video chat, and light web browsing where there are very few animations, ads, pictures and video on the website. The Atom is too slow to play many 3D games, or edit media files like video, picture, and audio files.

I think the Celeron is an average CPU for users who just need an average CPU to run basic office and home programs like MS Office, Firefox Web browsers, Windows Media Player, and older 3D games like Counter Strike or Quake 3 at a usable speed when the Celeron is installed on a PC with at least 4 GB RAM, and a basic video card like Nvidia GT 620 if users need better video performance.

About to sell a lot of these on Black Friday at my store, I'll let you know of its return rate.

I think the $200 Celeron laptops may have a higher return rate because many cheap Celeron laptops come with 16 GB or 32 GB or smaller SSD drives which fill up fast after installing all the Windows Updates, and a few prograns and games. The hard drive and larger SSD drive based Celeron Laptops may have a lower return rate since most hard drives are 500 GB or larger which is enough space for most users.

I think the $200 Celeron laptops may have a higher return rate because many cheap Celeron laptops come with 16 GB or 32 GB or smaller SSD drives which fill up fast after installing all the Windows Updates, and a few prograns and games. The hard drive and larger SSD drive based Celeron Laptops may have a lower return rate since most hard drives are 500 GB or larger which is enough space for most users.

they have a return rate because people do not know better.

they have a return rate because people do not know better.

I agree, Celeron may have a higher return rate because they don't know better, and did not try out the laptop for a longer amount of time at a store before buying it.

Bloatware/pre-installed programs on Celeron laptop can also make the return rate higher. A lot of pre-installed antivirus on cheap laptops like McAfee and Norton/Symantec can slow down computers. The return rate maybe lower if Celeron Laptops used the default Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10, or use a faster running antivirus like Bitdefender or Eset NOD32.

Back