Do you think Internet Explorer will have a longer life than Microsoft Edge?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Internet Explorer was release in 1995, and it is still being used in Windows 10 in 2019. IE is a 24 year old browser. I feel Microsoft Edge may not be older than 24 years, or out live the lifespan of Internet Explorer.

I feel Internet Explorer may out live Microsoft Edge because there are still websites which need Internet Explorer to use Internet Explorer ActiveX programs, exclusive IE features, and a website only works well on IE. There are also some people who maybe too used to Internet Explorer user interface, and don't want to switch to Chrome, Firefox, and Edge with user interfaces which are not the same as IE.

I still occasionally see people use Internet Explorer in Windows 10. I think Windows 10 users who use Internet Explorer because they need to use an Internet Explorer ActiveX on a website which still use ActiveX programs for doing tasks like running animation, or a website was only designed to work well in Internet Explorer.

I think Microsoft may rename Microsoft Edge to a different name, and change the design to try to get more users. There is a possibility that Microsoft may discontinue Microsoft Edge if there are not enough users for Microsoft Edge in the future like how Microsoft discontinued Windows Phone and Windows RT which does not have a lot of users compared to other OSes.

Last edited:
I thought it got discontinued upon edge's release?

May be.

Some of the applications use IE a lot....but edge isn't that...hmm.....

I don't know anymore (_ _)/

I don't think they aren't going to discontinue Edge anytime soon

As Edge has an active community like Firefox I think Firefox and Edge might merge in the future.

Last edited:
Back