Do you think Microsoft always make web browsers?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think there maybe one day when Microsoft stops making web browsers if not enough people use Internet Explorer and Edge. I think in the future, almost all PC and smartphone users will know how to install and use alternative web browsers like Firefox, Chrome, and Vivaldi. More users now feel web browsers like Firefox, Vivaldi, Brave, Chrome, etc are more reliable and faster than MS's Internet Explorer and Edge web browser.

Maybe who knows but if this happens then we can test an great future btw i would mostly like to use chrome i stopped using Internet Explorer likely years ago. :)

I stopped using IE after switching middle schools between 2nd year and 3rd year, which was the only time and only place I used that browser any way. w

I stop using Internet Explorer when It crashed after opening IE and cant be fixed without reinstalling Windows. Netscape and Mozilla were more reliable back in the past when I used it in Windows 98.

I think if many millions of IE/Edge users switch to alternative web browsers, IE and Edge may not have new versions or updates as often or at all because Microsoft may feel supporting a small percentage like 1% of web browser users may cause MS to spend too much money and time trying to fix all the current unfixed IE/Edge security problems and future undiscovered security vulnerabilities in IE.

Back in the old days, Microsoft already got lots of criticism about IE not being removable, they responded with "IE is embedded within Windows, so removing it will cause the system to become instable", or something along those lines.
Now with Windows 10 they have 2 unremovable browsers, not to mention that Windows 10 seems to forcefully set Edge to default browser, even after you've set something else to default 1000 times.

Back in the old days, Microsoft already got lots of criticism about IE not being removable, they responded with "IE is embedded within Windows, so removing it will cause the system to become instable", or something along those lines.
Now with Windows 10 they have 2 unremovable browsers, not to mention that Windows 10 seems to forcefully set Edge to default browser, even after you've set something else to default 1000 times.

It is unfortunate that IE and Edge are still not removable in Windows 10 since Microsoft eventually discontinue older version of their web browsers like IE 6.0 and 8.0, so I feel Edge and IE 11 will be discontinued when MS release a new web browser in the future. MS no longer release security updates for discontinued IE browsers anymore. It would be safer for users of older versions of IE to uninstall them if they still choose to use a discontinued version of Windows like XP and Vista.

Being able to uninstall IE and Edge can prevent most virus infections which are caused by visiting a malware website which takes advantage security vulnerabilities in IE and Edge.

Sometimes Windows Update maybe broken by a virus, antivirus or firewall blocking Windows update, and the user and system utility software like poorly made registry cleaners breaking Windows update, so new security releases for IE and Edge can no longer be installed for Windows because Windows Update no longer works.

I'm sure there other applications and Windows itself will need most of the features supplied by their browsers - such as the ability for Cortana to connect to the internet. So I think they will always have at least a basic package.

I'm sure there other applications and Windows itself will need most of the features supplied by their browsers - such as the ability for Cortana to connect to the internet. So I think they will always have at least a basic package.

It is possible to access the internet without a traditional web browser on older command line programs and operating systems like MS-DOS, and the Linux command line. But, browsing the web from command line programs is more difficult for PC users who are not use to using command line text commands.

Windows will most likely use a basic web browser for displaying text and image after doing a Cortana search for text and picture results.

But, Windows Cortana may search directly on online databases stored on the web and offline databases stored on a user's hard drive to search for images, videos, and text results like definitions to English words or the weather, and display the results similar to how Apps like Instagram and YouTube display content instead of opening a web browser to display content at a search engine website like Bing.com which takes a few extra seconds to open a web browser program.

anyone can do that with enough knowledge, but I promise you over 60% of Windows OS userbase doesn't know command line.

I feel more than 60% of PC users never open or actively use a command line program like cmd.exe or terminal in Linux, or operating system like MS-DOS and DOS.

Some older PC users may have use MS-DOS many years ago.

anyone can do that with enough knowledge, but I promise you over 60% of Windows OS userbase doesn't know command line.
Windows and macOS actually.
Too often I meet up with people who have been using macOS for many years, ask me some simple questions, I open the Terminal app on their machines, and they look like "I've never seen anything like this before".
Windows is about the same thing, except my knowledge to CMD commands compared to Bash or SH is rather limited (the CMD is very limited in what it can do any way).

No such thing among most Linux users, maybe that's because we're just used to using it?
Each time a Linux user asks for help online, regardless of their computer knowledge, gets most likely asked to do stuff in the command line (I'll call it "CLI" from here on).
This is because unlike the GUI way, which can differ in millions of ways, the CLI way can differ only in a few ways (mostly with package managers).
And providing support in CLI at the same time teaches newcomers the importance of working with the CLI, regardless of the Linux distro, BSD distro, macOS version, or even Windows version.

Windows and macOS actually.
Too often I meet up with people who have been using macOS for many years, ask me some simple questions, I open the Terminal app on their machines, and they look like "I've never seen anything like this before".
Windows is about the same thing, except my knowledge to CMD commands compared to Bash or SH is rather limited (the CMD is very limited in what it can do any way).

No such thing among most Linux users, maybe that's because we're just used to using it?
Each time a Linux user asks for help online, regardless of their computer knowledge, gets most likely asked to do stuff in the command line (I'll call it "CLI" from here on).
This is because unlike the GUI way, which can differ in millions of ways, the CLI way can differ only in a few ways (mostly with package managers).
And providing support in CLI at the same time teaches newcomers the importance of working with the CLI, regardless of the Linux distro, BSD distro, macOS version, or even Windows version.

I did take a linux class in college, running it was pretty fun but I'm sure I'm rusty by now.

In order to remember anything, you must continue doing things.
Theory is only short term memory.
Practise is only long term memory.

Permanent memory doesn't exist (unless you're an elephant), so if you're no longer related to it both with theory and practise, you'll forget.
Though the good news with forgetting is that it's much easier to re-learn than if you were learning for the first time.

In order to remember anything, you must continue doing things.
Theory is only short term memory.
Practise is only long term memory.

Permanent memory doesn't exist (unless you're an elephant), so if you're no longer related to it both with theory and practise, you'll forget.
Though the good news with forgetting is that it's much easier to re-learn than if you were learning for the first time.

problem is I don't have time to do things versus the time to just trying to remember it.

problem is I don't have time to do things versus the time to just trying to remember it.
It's a popular excuse actually.
I too have very little free time, but I still manage to get things done because I make heavy use of a calendar combined with a TODO list (and for programming, issues list).
Calendar for more distant events, TODO list for today's events, and issues list for both because when it comes to programming the former 2 alone aren't enough.

That way I manage things accordingly, and even enables me to do a few smaller things while doing one big thing.

And another thing I can recommend that proves to be very effective: split your main goal up into smaller goals that you can achieve more easily.
It motivates you to get things done way better than if you would stick to one huge goal, because the one huge goal always seems unachieveable.

Demon_Skeith said:
one that works. When you have five different classes to balance with work and any real life obligations, time that is left is mostly for rest....

and play video games?

Back