Do you think New Google Chromebooks will ever come with a hard drive?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think it is unlikely that Google Chromebooks ever come with a hard drive like the old Acer C710 Chromebook which has a 500GB hard drive according to Acer outs C710-2605 Chromebook, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM, 100GB Google Drive for two years .

Hard drives are also becoming less common in cheap Windows laptops which now mostly use cheap 32GB SSD flash memory storage drives which cost less than laptop hard drives.

But, if hard drive becomes as fast as SSD/Solid State and cheap like 16GB SSD found in most cheap Chromebooks, there maybe a company like Acer or HP which make a Chromebook with a hard drive.

A lot of Chromebooks can now run Android apps and games like Gameloft Asphalt 8 which can be many GBs in size, so a large 1TB hard drive would be useful for storing many large games, apps, and files.

At this rate, I would rather see bigger SSD drives with better tech than hard drive because at some point those platters could explode/shatter.

Be nice if they did come with a SSD like Daniel said, a 128 GB would get most people by.

At this rate, I would rather see bigger SSD drives with better tech than hard drive because at some point those platters could explode/shatter.

I think SSD has a limited amount of write cycles, and suffer from invisible less obvious hardware problems. I saw posts online that some SSD users complained they lost all their data because of a random SSD failure. Files on SSD storage chips maybe more likely to get damage from power surges, and overheating like SD Cards which sometimes fail when it gets too hot.

The one good thing about hard drive is that you can sometimes hear when the drive is failing when the drive starts to spin louder, or vibrate more when it is ON. Plus, some users maybe more likely to backup their data on a hard drive because they don't become over confident about a hard drive lasting a long time like some SSD users where they feel their drive won't break easily because nothing is moving.

It is best to backup your important files to many storage devices like USB Flash drive, hard drive, another computer, DVD-R/Blu-Ray-R discs, and external SSD.

I think SSD has a limited amount of write cycles, and suffer from invisible less obvious hardware problems. I saw posts online that some SSD users complained they lost all their data because of a random SSD failure. Files on SSD storage chips maybe more likely to get damage from power surges, and overheating like SD Cards which sometimes fail when it gets too hot.

The one good thing about hard drive is that you can sometimes hear when the drive is failing when the drive starts to spin louder, or vibrate more when it is ON. Plus, some users maybe more likely to backup their data on a hard drive because they don't become over confident about a hard drive lasting a long time like some SSD users where they feel their drive won't break easily because nothing is moving.

It is best to backup your important files to many storage devices like USB Flash drive, hard drive, another computer, DVD-R/Blu-Ray-R discs, and external SSD.

There is failure risk with any device. But I do believe SSD is less likely to fail.

There is failure risk with any device. But I do believe SSD is less likely to fail.

I think the chance of failure for hard drives is not a bigger problem than SSD failure for most users who buy a drive from a good brand like Western Digital, and take care of their hard drive correctly by not dropping them, and occassionally running scan disk, and disk defrag. Plus, backing up data on the drive.

Large size SSD are newer technology, so it may have unsolved problems which cause it to lose data, and break because of design defects.

Back