Do you think robbers stealing charging cables for electric cars would happen often?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
It is possible that robbers would often steal electric car charging cables which are used to charge the battery. A lot of the times the charging cables for the car are found at the bottom of the car's trunk, so robbers can use a tool to break open the trunk, and steal the charging cable, and other things like spare tires and the owners' things stored in the trunk.

Some people may leave the electric car charger cables and charger in their garage, so some robbers may steal their charger cables when the owner of the home is not at home.

Most charging cables contain valuable metal like copper which robbers can sell to a scrap metal buyer which buy copper wiring.

There also maybe many people who use eBay and Craigslist to buy a cheap used electric car charging cables to replace their broken, stolen, and lost power cables for their electric car.

Well, stealing a car would attract attention and not many people would immediately notice the cables... So I believe this would continue for a very long time.

My mom doesn't use this cable at all though....

If someone is easily able to break into your trunk, I think there is less issues to worry about than a cable.

If someone is easily able to break into your trunk, I think there is less issues to worry about than a cable.

Car charging cables can be very expensive like most charging cables for tech. The charging cable maybe the most expensive possession which can be easily taken from a electric car, so leaving the charging cable at home maybe a good idea if you don't need to use the cable since most electric car chargers at parking lots, and electric car charging stations has their own charging cables physically attach to the public charger.

Unfortunately, many car trunks are not made to be very secure because the car would cost more to build if the trunk was very secure. It can also be a safety problem having the trunk being hard to open since kids and other people sometimes locked themselves in the trunk, so the fire department needs to be easily to pry open the trunk to save a person trap in a trunk if there is no trunk release inside the trunk.

A lot of trunks these days can be open with a remote control which also unlock the car. I read on a tech blog that it is possible to steal your car's unlock code with a hacking device, so the robber can make extra remote control to unlock the key. I think it maybe possible to open the trunk by picking the lock on the key hole on the back of a car's trunk.

Last edited:
Car charging cables can be very expensive like most charging cables for tech. The charging cable maybe the most expensive possession which can be easily taken from a electric car, so leaving the charging cable at home maybe a good idea if you don't need to use the cable since most electric car chargers at parking lots, and electric car charging stations has their own charging cables physically attach to the public charger.

Unfortunately, many car trunks are not made to be very secure because the car would cost more to build if the trunk was very secure. It can also be a safety problem having the trunk being hard to open since kids and other people sometimes locked themselves in the trunk, so the fire department needs to be easily to pry open the trunk to save a person trap in a trunk if there is no trunk release inside the trunk.

A lot of trunks these days can be open with a remote control which also unlock the car. I read on a tech blog that it is possible to steal your car's unlock code with a hacking device, so the robber can make extra remote control to unlock the key. I think it maybe possible to open the trunk by picking the lock on the key hole on the back of a car's trunk.

by that logic they can just drive away with the car since they are able to hack its signals. Again, less to worry about than some cables when you're entire car is at risk.

by that logic they can just drive away with the car since they are able to hack its signals. Again, less to worry about than some cables when you're entire car is at risk.

I read some reports that cars have been stolen from someone cloning the digital wireless key.

Not everyone knows how to drive a car. Stealing charging cable stored in the trunk is easier, and easier to sell to a scrap metal buyer who buys copper wiring.

The punishment for stealing a charging cable may not result in a long jailtime, and sometimes the police may not investigate a stolen charging cable if you don't have a video or photo of a robber stealing the cable.

Back