Do you think Smartphones would be so popular if Social Networking was unpopular?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think Smartphones would not be as popular if Social Networking was unpopular since I mostly see heavy smart phone users using Smartphones to check Facebook, Twitter, post images on Instagram, or share stuff online with other social networks.

I think a lot of less phone savvy people learned about Smartphones from their more phone savvy online friends on social networks like YouTube where a lot of people post videos about their Smartphones, and record videos with their Smartphones, or Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus where people post status updates about Smartphones, so without the popularity of social networks there maybe a large amount of people who are unaware of smartphone existance because they don't have many friends who are tech savvy, they don't watch the news, or read the news papers.

The people who learned about Smartphones from social networks may also tell their friends and family ,who don't use social networks, about smartphones. Without the people on social networks learning about smartphones, there may also be fewer non-social network users who own smartphones because they are uninformed about the existance of smartphones.

Also, social messaging apps like Google Hangout, Twitter Direct Mesage, Facebook Messenger, etc are used by a lot of people to save money on texting by using free wifi connection to send Instant messaging without the need to make a new account at another site/app like Skype, so a lot of people use social networks to save money on Data and cell service by using their free mobile text, video, and voice services.

I think they would have been much slower to catch on, but the popularity would still be there. The ability to use the social networks is what pulled people to it, but now even if they quit they realize than can do so much with them. I think it was inevitable. 

I agree Social networking was what pulled users in, and I think Google improve Android in these recent years since Android 4.1 was release, so more people will join Google's  social network which is Google Plus, and use Facebook and Twitter less often after buying an Android phone because you need to make a Google Account to use Google Play which is Google Android's app store. You also need to use your Google+ account name to rate, and review apps, and use Google Hangout/Talk.

Social Networks like YouTube, Instagram, and Pinterest which are free content based social networks for people to view, create and upload small videos and pictures on Smartphones also may increase the number of casual users who want to conveniently view free content from their phone, and may not be interested in paying hundreds of dollars for a smartphone to use paid apps, ad supported apps, and productivity apps like Word Processing, and maps when their laptop or netbook will give them a better experience for typing intensive tasks like word processing, calender, and reading the news.

Smartphones are built to consume and transfer -- not create -- information. Their inherent nature is social with a backdrop of consumption. This makes them perfect outlets for social networking.

If social networking were unpopular, then smartphones would certainly be less popular.

I agree Smartphones are primary consumption devices. The most popular App category which is games use a lot of social features in them like sharing achievements like "High Scores" to Facebook, and Twitter, and getting free in-game money for recruiting your Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ friends to help you play and advance in a game. I read that Candy Crush players also use social networks to ask their Facebook friends to give them free lives, and in-game items like Farmville.

I think if fewer people know about the games on smartphones from social network posts, there would also be a lot fewer people who buy smartphones since a lot of people use Smartphones as a handheld gaming device, and to compete with friends, and post high scores, screen shots, and achievements for games to Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.

I think smart phones would be popular reguardless of social networks, since smart phones have a lot of needed things like GPS.

Some regular feature cell phones have GPS, and Online Maps, and GPS systems are cheaper if you buy them online, or Used on craigslist. Cheaper tablets ike the Nexus 7 2012 also have GPS, and a bigger screen.

A lot of young kids, teens, and poor people who use Smartphones may not be interested in GPS because they don't own a car, rarely travel out of their neighborhood, or they don't know what is GPS. A lot of the apps which come with a Smartphone may not end up being used much by the average user because a laptop, tablet, and desktop have better similar programs, but Apps like Instagram let people quickly take pictures, and share them on social networks for others to view which is a popular hobby for people who enjoy sharing pictures of cool stuff online.

GPS is not very accurate sometimes, I read stories online that unaware people end up driving into a lake, or getting into accidents because their GPS failed them at providing good directions, they rely too much on GPS, and they were not paying attention while driving.

I think a lot of people still print out maps to follow from Online Maps websites or use paper maps since it is free, easier to read, and it does not need battery power like a cell phone with GPS, so you're not wasting power which you may need to call for help if you get lost.

Smartphones are popular, social networks are becoming more unpopular.. Most popular Social App is Vine and Instagram right now :)

I think social networking sites are still very popular since Facebook, YouTube, Tumblr, LinkedIn, are all still in the top 25 at http://www.alexa.com/topsites which is a well known site within the SEO and internet marketing community which rank sites by popularity based on Alexa users visiting those sites with their PC's web browser, so there are still billions of people who used social networks on a daily basis.

The popularity of social networks is still higher than smartphones because anyone with an internet connection and a PC, laptop, tablet, smartphone, smartwatch, eReader, or regular non-smartphone cell phone with Symbian, and Java OS can access social networks like Facebook from their web browser, App, or even text message like Twitter where you can post via SMS.

Back