Do you think some people mainly use cheap laptops to only connect to public wifi networks, internet connections?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
It is possible that some people use cheap laptops to use only for connecting to publc wifi network connections, and public internet connections which they don't subscribe to or own because they don't trust the internet connection or wifi router at a public place is safe to connect their more expensive laptop to. Some users may think the router or ISP may contain a computer virus on the router and connection.

Most probably that might be the case.
Even if something is not secure, it's not very hard to discard it, unlike a very good gaming laptop.

As someone who has to sell laptops, yes, yes they do.

Most probably that might be the case.
Even if something is not secure, it's not very hard to discard it, unlike a very good gaming laptop.

This is true discarding a good gaming laptop can be very costly, and some computer repair shops charge a lot of money for virus removal from a virus someone got by connecting to a criminal's wifi connection which redirect people to a website with a virus. Sometimes viruses like ransomware can lock owners out of their computer, so they can't use their games, software, etc until they pay a ransom, or can remove the ransomware.

A few cheap Windows 10 laptops sometimes come with a better paid antivirus program which works better at protecting Windows10 than Windows Defender which had a lower virus detection rate according to Test finds Windows Defender merely "satisfactory", far from best protection - MSPoweruser , so using the paid subscription of McAfee, Norton, Nod32, etc maybe better than using Windows Defender antivirus.

Some cheap laptops also come with Linux based operating systems like Linux Mint, Chrome OS, and Android which is less likely to get viruses when browsing the web compared to using Windows and Internet Explorer to browse the web.

Last edited:
This is true discarding a good gaming laptop can be very costly, and some computer repair shops charge a lot of money for virus removal from a virus someone got by connecting to a criminal's wifi connection which redirect people to a website with a virus. Sometimes viruses like ransomware can lock owners out of their computer, so they can't use their games, software, etc until they pay a ransom, or can remove the ransomware.

A few cheap Windows 10 laptops sometimes come with a better paid antivirus program which works better at protecting Windows10 than Windows Defender which had a lower virus detection rate according to Test finds Windows Defender merely "satisfactory", far from best protection - MSPoweruser , so using the paid subscription of McAfee, Norton, Nod32, etc maybe better than using Windows Defender antivirus.

Some cheap laptops also come with Linux based operating systems like Linux Mint, Chrome OS, and Android which is less likely to get viruses when browsing the web compared to using Windows and Internet Explorer to browse the web.
Well, I do plan to get a cheap laptop if my second one dies.
It's easy to discard I suppose.

Well, I do plan to get a cheap laptop if my second one dies.
It's easy to discard I suppose.

I agree cheap laptops are cheaper to discard, and maybe cheaper to repair if the replacement parts like RAM are affordable.

I feel some cheap laptops may also be easier to repair and more durable than very thin laptops lightweight laptops made by companies like Apple which make the Macbook, and Macbook Air which are thin and looks harder to repair.

I like that some cheap Windows laptops still let people replace the RAM, hard drive, and battery without the need to take the whole case apart.

Back