Do you think the PC would be the most used device to talk online?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Yes, I think the PC would be the most used device to talk online because sites like Twitch, YouTube Livestreaming, Forums, blogs, e-mail, Facebook, Twitter, and other sites with a chat seem to work best on a PC with a full size keyboard and mouse, and faster wired internet connection.

Video and Audio streaming is also becoming very popular, and most wired internet connections found on PC have unlimited or a high bandwidth limit like 100GB to 1TB of data while smartphones still have plans with only 100MB of data, so using a smartphone for watching Twitch, YouTube Live, or even visiting bigger websites with a lot of video like Facebook is not a good idea unless you want to subscribe to an expensive unlimited plan.

The price of home PC and monitors are becoming more affordable. It is sometimes possible to buy a decent desktop computer and monitor bundle for $200 or less on eBay.

I think more people will stay home more often because they are taking online college courses, or work from home doing online jobs like Twitch livestreaming, or making online video for YouTube, Dailymotion, and Vimeo in exchange for money, so they will always be on their PC doing stuff, and talking to their fans, and costumers.

Chatting, and writing messages on a phone and tablet is also kind of annoying, and slow compared to using a fullsize keyboard and mouse on a desktop PC with a large monitor.

So far, yes, the PC is the most used device to talk online. But give it a couple of decades and we'll see... Maybe we'll have holographic images popping out of smartwatches like we see in the SF movies...

So far, yes, the PC is the most used device to talk online. But give it a couple of decades and we'll see... Maybe we'll have holographic images popping out of smartwatches like we see in the SF movies...

One of the current problems of holographic and projected images from most projectors is that bright room lights make images looks faded, and ghostly.

Most desktop monitors with a high brightness levels are still readable when the sun is shining on them as long as you turn up the brightness to maximum or put an anti-reflective shield/coating on the screen.

I think a lot of people will still prefer text based communication instead of video and audio chat. PC is still currently the best way to chat with text online at chat rooms, e-mail, forums, blogs, and the comment sections on sites like YouTube and Facebook.

There are also many shy people who prefer using text to communicate because they don't want to share video or pictures of themselves, and they don't like people listening to their voice's accent, or speech problem like their lisp, stuttering, or random outburst of anger or sadness if they suffer from some sort of mental illness.

I think cell phones are taking over, I'll see people doing video chats all the time.

I think cell phones are taking over, I'll see people doing video chats all the time.

Sadly, the cell phone data prices in Canada make using a cell phone to video chat very expensive since 4GB of bandwidth cost $75. But, a cable or DSL connection with a 150GB bandwidth limit cost around $60.

I know of some video streamers who use a PC to do live video streams for hours on video streams on YouTube, Twitch, Afreeca, BlogTV, and other sites. Live online chat probably uses hundreds of GBs of bandwidth per day if they stream in High quality video modes. A PC also is more reliable for video chat because of a wired internet connection, and more stable operating systems like Linux, and Windows 7 which seem very stable if you have a faster computer which can run the OS, and video chat programs smoothly.

I think using a PC to stream users while playing video games online, talk about the news on an online news show, or doing a live talk show online would be a more common job in the future for people who want to become an actor or singer, or just want to make money online.

Back