Do you think USB cables will ever be easier to repair without needing to use tools like pliers?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think it is unlikely for USB cables to be easier for the average person to repair without tools like pliers, a soldering iron, and magnify glass.

But, it would be nice if the USB cable's wires, plugs, and ports are easier to repair or replace by unscrewing the damage part, and replacing the broken USB plug or wires with a working plug or wires instead of throwing away an entire cable because the plug or wire got damaged.

There is no point in repairing them, they are so cheap its not worth fixing them. Much like Ethernet cables.

There is no point in repairing them, they are so cheap its not worth fixing them. Much like Ethernet cables.

The shorter size USB cables are cheap. But, some of the longer length 12 feet USB cables cost around $15 on Amazon. Sometimes, the metal connectors may break because you accidentally bent the metal connector. Being able to replace the metal connector with a replacement connector which cost $1 or less may save you a few dollars.

USB cables may not be worth fixing because people feel saving a few dollars or less is not worth their time to fix a cable. But, electronic waste is a environmental problem where things like broken USB cables and computers are polluting the earth.

TBH making Ethernet cables takes like zero skill, this is coming from someone who’s made like 20 miles of them.

If you hardwire the devices in your house, you can just buy a reel of it, strip it, and crimp it after you memorize which color wires in the cable go where.

TBH making Ethernet cables takes like zero skill, this is coming from someone who’s made like 20 miles of them.

If you hardwire the devices in your house, you can just buy a reel of it, strip it, and crimp it after you memorize which color wires in the cable go where.

I agree, most people can easily learn how to make Ethernet cables when following a picture on what order to put the wires in. The crimper tools, plugs, and a reel of cables are not very expensive when you buy them from sites like Amazon and eBay.

Making an Ethernet cable is sometimes more convenient than going to a store, and finding the right length of Ethernet cable which is long enough to reach your PC, game console, rooms' ethernet port, and a router/switch. Sometimes stores like the Dollar store may not sell very long Ethernet cables, so buyers need to go to another store, or order a very long Ethernet cable from Amazon and eBay, or make a cable themselves.

I had to make one for class, was a bit tough but I'm sure it be easy if I had more time making them.

I had to make one for class, was a bit tough but I'm sure it be easy if I had more time making them.

Sometimes some Ethernet plugs may make it more difficult to insert the wires into the plug in the correct order.

I saw a video on YouTube where the guy in the video use a loadbar insert to make organizing the wires easier into the holes on the clear plastic Ethernet plug. I think the loadbar can make loading the wires into the plug easier, but plugs with loadbars cost a little more money.

It's a combination of a tad bit of practice depending on which RJ45 you have. If you have the one where you have to eyeball the bare wires before you stick it in and then crimp, then that takes a bit of practice, but if you have the kind where you can feed the wires all the way through, then crimp, there's little room to mess up.

We had a guy who liked making them backwards, which still works, but is annoying if one end gets messed up, you make a new end the correct way, and find out the other end is also backwards.

There are Ethernet wire testers which Ethernet cable makers can use to test an assembled Ethernet cable. I think a multi-meter may also work at testing if the wires all are in the right position.

I wasn't acting that you don't know that cable tester exist or don't exist.

I was replying in my previous reply that Network cable testers exists, and Network cable testers can be useful for making cables, so people who read this post are more aware that Network cable tester can be useful for testers.

I also did not know you work on computer networking as part of your job.

It's a combination of a tad bit of practice depending on which RJ45 you have. If you have the one where you have to eyeball the bare wires before you stick it in and then crimp, then that takes a bit of practice, but if you have the kind where you can feed the wires all the way through, then crimp, there's little room to mess up.

We had a guy who liked making them backwards, which still works, but is annoying if one end gets messed up, you make a new end the correct way, and find out the other end is also backwards.

We had to eyeball it, the teacher was old and enjoyed our torment.

Well just last week my colleague fixed his micro usb cable with a swiss army key chain. The cable is still exposed but works.

Well just last week my colleague fixed his micro usb cable with a swiss army key chain. The cable is still exposed but works.

That is a good use of a swiss army key chain. Using electrical tape could be a good way of covering expose wires.

That is a good use of a swiss army key chain. Using electrical tape could be a good way of covering expose wires.
I told him the same but he says that would like he is cheap, but having the exposed wire work makes him look like a tech savvy expert.

I told him the same but he says that would like he is cheap, but having the exposed wire work makes him look like a tech savvy expert.

An expose wire can also be a good way of preventing a robber from stealing your friend's USB cable because they think the cable is broken or may damage their device.

But, a expose wire may increase the risk that a family member or the janitor will throwaway the cable thinking it is broken or trash.

An expose wire can also be a good way of preventing a robber from stealing your friend's USB cable because they think the cable is broken or may damage their device.

But, a expose wire may increase the risk that a family member or the janitor will throwaway the cable thinking it is broken or trash.
You have a good point that someone might throw it away. Actually we a betting pool going on in the office that what will happen to the wire. The options include;
  1. Catches fire
  2. Sets the room on fire
  3. Fries the phone
  4. Gets thrown away (your point)
  5. Keeps working till eternity

You have a good point that someone might throw it away. Actually we a betting pool going on in the office that what will happen to the wire. The options include;
  1. Catches fire
  2. Sets the room on fire
  3. Fries the phone
  4. Gets thrown away (your point)
  5. Keeps working till eternity

A robber may steal it as well because it is a weird looking cable which works, but looks broken. Some people steal a lot of weird and cheap stuff which is not worth a lot of money, but looks cool or is useful for them.

The USB cable's other undamaged wire, USB connectors, and plastic parts can be useful.

The metal parts, and plastics are worth a small amount of money when sold to a scrap metal and plastic buyer who buys a lot of scrap metal and plastic to make new metal things like a knife.

A robber may steal it as well because it is a weird looking cable which works, but looks broken. Some people steal a lot of weird and cheap stuff which is not worth a lot of money, but looks cool or is useful for them.

The USB cable's other undamaged wire, USB connectors, and plastic parts can be useful.

The metal parts, and plastics are worth a small amount of money when sold to a scrap metal and plastic buyer who buys a lot of scrap metal and plastic to make new metal things like a knife.
The office has cameras all over the place, so nothing gets stolen. Now all that's left is to see who wins the pool.

Back