Do you think Users play Android games on a Chromebooks which their school lend them to use?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Most likely, some Student Chromebook users at schools are used for playing Android games on Chromebooks which has the Google Play store installed on it.

I think some of the younger teachers in their 20s and older also play games to relax when their students are doing class work, or between breaks like recess, lunch, and before class.

I would think most schools would ban this type of thing.

Imagine, I had to manage a secondary school with 700+ students, each got a laptop as school a material.
Those were mostly Windows XP laptops at the time, and all had access to schools' WiFi network, so good luck preventing every single one of them to do things they're not supposed to do with.
And I mean both with hardware AND software, because were capable of doing the most bizzare shit with both!

I would think most schools would ban this type of thing.

Some schools let the teacher decide on what programs, and games are allowed in class, and the few students who are caught gaming during English and History lectures are sent to the Principal office to be punished.

I can see a few games like Minecraft not being used in class because they can be used for learning about building things and using math. But, most of the more exciting games like shooters, and role playing games are most likely banned because of being more time intensive, violence, and political themes.

Some schools used to allow students play solitaire, minesweeper, text based games, and other card games which came with Windows 98 and XP.

Imagine, I had to manage a secondary school with 700+ students, each got a laptop as school a material.
Those were mostly Windows XP laptops at the time, and all had access to schools' WiFi network, so good luck preventing every single one of them to do things they're not supposed to do with.
And I mean both with hardware AND software, because were capable of doing the most bizzare shit with both!
While you can lock down software so much (make heavy use of GPO), you can't really do much about hardware being abused.

We had very strict GPO's in place, we had the servers to reset all the laptops with, we had Barracuda to block access to sites they're not supposed to go to, and everything.
But in the end, the students are far smarter than their teachers, and always find a new loophole real quick.
And the teachers trust the students, because "if anything related to IT goes wrong, servicedesk is always at fault, because their systems suck", they always said.

Fun fact: the teachers were so dumb, we had to explain them that the ethernet cable is called a "brainwash" cable, just so they could understand what they had to do with it when a student gets a virus or solith.
We gave that nickname, because when you hook up a laptop to the ethernet cable on their network and you reboot, the laptop in question will install a saved image onto it, so everything will be reset to the state they started off with.

Certain sites were blocked when I was still in school but it was extremely easy to bypass them without even having to use a VPN.

Sometime there is a case where teachers and students used different proxy to access the internet. And the student proxy would have more blocked than the teacher's one.....

that's why there was always a strive to find a new and unknown proxy that the school network admins wouldn't know about.

that's why there was always a strive to find a new and unknown proxy that the school network admins wouldn't know about.
Well I'm sure that the IT guys would know about the teacher's own proxy server (that if they set it up or it the one powered by the education department).

Back