Writing Do you want to excel at creative writing? Read this!

Henrywrites

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Just like air, creative writing is all about having the freedom to evoke feelings from your readers using words. It encompasses a number of different genres and writing styles outside the basic scope of academic writing.

To become a mini god at creative writing, you need to practice most of these things in this guideline.

The first step is to never get tired of writing. Great ideas can, sometimes, come out of putting down bad ideas on paper or writing. So, get a notepad that you can pen down your thoughts as they come.

Secondly, you have to develop the habit of rewriting. Never stop at the first draft. Have the ability to scan through the first draft and make a better version of it. This is how great stories come about. Never be struck with the first attempt.

Another point to note when you write is having a theme in place that drives your story. Readers want to know the writer's perspective and you should be able to have one when you write. Do not think you can become great at creative writing when your contents have zero message to share or lessons the readers can learn from it.

The fourth thing to note on becoming about creative writing is that audience matters. Who are you writing for? Is it a story for kids? Is it one that you are writing for your fellow creative writers? So, it is pertinent to have a clear understanding of who your audience are as it is going to shape how you write.

It is also good to understand the work of figures of speech in creative writing. The metaphor, the similes and other figures of speech can make your creativity shine when you write. So, making effective use of figures of speech will help you excel as a creative writer.

What are the other points do you think a creative writer should look at?

I like these! I have some others:
Never stop learning. If you are writing a certain niche, learn all about that niche. Do your research, ask questions.
Don't force it. If you don't care for mysteries, don't write about mysteries. Go with your strengths, not weaknesses.

Never stop learning. If you are writing a certain niche, learn all about that niche. Do your research, ask questions.
Don't force it. If you don't care for mysteries, don't write about mysteries. Go with your strengths, not weaknesses.

Making research is very important. You will learn a lot by making those enquires which will in turn improve your creative writing.

I agree with that last part......go with your strength's, not your weaknesses. Don't try to force something you aren't comfortable with doing.

I agree with that last part......go with your strength's, not your weaknesses. Don't try to force something you aren't comfortable with doing.

A creative writer should be able to know where they are good at and what they do best. That is one of the first things to consider.

If you don't research well and extensively, you wouldn't do well as a writer.

It's also easier to do research for a particular book if you're sticking to your comfort zone (I think so, anyway).
Whenever the environment is calm and quiet, doing research is always a bit busier than when you are being distracted by so many other things.

Back