Does anyone else hate 'flash' style graphics in video games?

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
You know, really flat looking graphics that seem like they've been drawn in Adobe Flash or another vector image editor.

Those PETA parody games have some obvious examples (see below):

http://mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&param=03&c=1&id=29929

But yeah, just the general style you seem to see in a lot of app store games.

I personally dislike it. Too boring, and it feels like it has less charm than traditional 16/32 bit pixel graphics.

Isn't there a stage in Smash Nros for Wii U that looks like that? Pacman's stage. I just think it looks unprofessional and in a game like Smash Bros I'm paying for quality.?

I've never been a fan of flash-style art in games or 'simplistic' cell shading, either (As in any form of cell shading that is less than Borderlands or Dark Cloud 2 have). The only time I found the 'flat-base' coloring style to work was in Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2, and again, that was simplistic cell.

Oh! the one game where it works completely, I just thought of! Scribblenauts! I think because it is art-related the style works well there as it reminds me of those re-stickable latex sticker and cardboard travel doll things I used to play with as a child.

magic_school_stickers_opened.jpg

Yeah. Anything flash style just looks like poor quality to me. Except 16/32 bit like you said. Example Death Battle compared to that one parody(?) of it with Vegeta vs. Mewtwo. Death Battle just has a certain really good quality to it with a variety of good art styles.

Does that mean you don't like the style of Rhythm Heaven Fever? That game looks like flash game.

Wii_Rhythm_Heaven_Fever_Teaser-HQ_H264.jpg

It does seem annoying at first. But a good game makes me look over that. I prefer 16/32 bit like you also but only when the sprites are well-made and detailed. Graphics aren't everything for me but it does help me like the game more.

Does that mean you don't like the style of Rhythm Heaven Fever? That game looks like flash game.

Wii_Rhythm_Heaven_Fever_Teaser-HQ_H264.jpg

Well if the motions are fluid then I suppose it's not as bad. If it's G&W style then it's really bad but a little funny.

I don't hate all games using it, but there is a certain way its used that often takes the charm out of a game. On another note, does anyone else also kind of dislike it in cartoons?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AdobeFlash

You can see a lot of examples there, and it seems to be why modern animation is a bit 'soulless' nowadays.

I don't hate all games using it, but there is a certain way its used that often takes the charm out of a game.  On another note, does anyone else also kind of dislike it in cartoons?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AdobeFlash

You can see a lot of examples there, and it seems to be why modern animation is a bit 'soulless' nowadays.

The only flash cartoon series I like happens to be my fave series atm; Archer. I'll admit, though, when I saw the first episode years ago I was put off by the flash animation style and only grew to enjoy the art in the series after about the third or fourth episode - mainly because I grew used to it by then and I was already familiar with Frisky Dingo and its spin-off series.

Back