Does anyone miss the crazy secrets in old style games?

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
You know, the ones where doing something really odd would unlock a new level/world/powerup or a certain bonus ending?

Have to admit, I kind of miss that stuff. Like Chrono Trigger's multiple endings after every possible scenario (including beating Lavos at the start of the game). Or how you could play Super Mario Land 2's title screen demos by pressing a certain set of buttons. Or the bonus room in a bonus room from Donkey Kong Country.

Heck, I just came across this secret in an old licensed game, and found it pretty cool too:

http://tcrfwiki.tumblr.com/post/135799439903/mc-kids-and-the-unlimited-lives-secret

Stuff like that made games infinitely replayable, cause you didn't know what you might find. Nowadays though, it seems like secrets are mostly rather boring stuff, or explicitly marked out in game with stuff like achievements.

Anyone agree?

I always loved when there were neat hidden stuff like that. I recall in a few of the earlier Final Fantasy's (like IV and VI or II and III in the us) there being secret rooms and stuff. Its fun to find that stuff.

To me no one did multiple endings the best like Chromo Trigger. I was so excited to find you could do that!

Back