Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Been reading comments tonight and saw a interesting debate going on. Does Sony want to be Nintendo?

A good example of proof to back that:

Nintendo makes Wii Motion Controller.
Sony releases Playstation Move Motion Controller.

Nintendo releases touch-screen handheld.
Sony releases touch-screen handheld.

Nintendo releases Super Smash Bros.
Sony releases Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale.

Nintendo releases Mario Kart
Sony releases it's own kart game(s)

Seems like Sony wants to play catch up with Nintendo if you ask me. What do you think?

Sony and Microsoft seem to be banking off Nintendo, but Nintendo is doing the same.

Well theyre not really playinv catch up since Sony is doing better financially.
But well i dont think theyre really copying, it's just that Nintendo creates new genereations. For example they created the motion controller.... SO obviously other companies have to come up with it... And then we were all in the touch screen generation... I mean every phone is touch screen now, so a touch screen handhel was inevitable

I think they're all as bad as one another in the industry in honesty!

When one company comes out with a popular piece of hardware then other companies in the gaming industry follow suit. You could call it copying but to be honest the whole business world works like this not just in gaming.

Personally I don't think Sony have to feel threatened by Nintendo because there hardware and graphics especially seem to be a step ahead of Nintendo's (though their new Wii console's graphics are looking pretty amazing) in this industry and every other for that matter it's all about staying one step ahead but that's hard when each company brings out new hardware and software to match their competitors it's the same with mobile phone technology.

If something's popular and sells you'd be silly not to latch onto it.

As for it just being Sony copying or wanting to be like Nintendo I would have to disagree I believe both companies have used and latched on to profit from one another's ideas in the past.

Nintendo wants more hardcore gamers, so they are trying to get everyone interested, whereas Sony and Microsoft actually have a ton of hardcore and casual games.

I think they're all as bad as one another in the industry in honesty!

When one company comes out with a popular piece of hardware then other companies in the gaming industry follow suit. You could call it copying but to be honest the whole business world works like this not just in gaming.

Personally I don't think Sony have to feel threatened by Nintendo because there hardware and graphics especially seem to be a step ahead of Nintendo's (though their new Wii console's graphics are looking pretty amazing) in this industry and every other for that matter it's all about staying one step ahead but that's hard when each company brings out new hardware and software to match their competitors it's the same with mobile phone technology.

If something's popular and sells you'd be silly not to latch onto it.

As for it just being Sony copying or wanting to be like Nintendo I would have to disagree I believe both companies have used and latched on to profit from one another's ideas in the past.

The difference between the two is that Sony focuses on performances/graphics while Nintendo focuses on game-play. I personally prefer the latter, i don't care if a game is in 2D as long as its fun.

It's a industry where you won't go anywhere without copying someone else. That is how companies started in video games basically.

I think the fact is that since they are all in competition, they want to do better than each other. Even if it means that they have to take ideas from each other. I don't think they want to be alike but as companies, they have have their strengths and weaknesses.

To a certain extent, however I believe Sony still makes the superior console. :laugh: What Sony does best is take the best of what each rival console has to offer and improves on it. I don't think Sony is trying to play catch up with nintendo. Afterall E3 showed that the Wii will offer serious more gritty games than they traditionally produce. So in a way Nintendo could be argued to be trying to be like Sony and Microsoft. :happy: At the end of the day a lot of the motion controls ect.. are gimmicky and the heart of games still relies on old school controllers. Yes, it's fun to muck about and play Wii games with friends but when I want to do some serious gaming I turn to my Playstation 3. I think with the PS3 you get the best of both worlds better graphics and stronger games plus some fun gimmicky social games.

Don't get me wrong I still love wii and for many it will be the better buy depending on what types of games you like play. I'm simply stating my opinion. :happy:

Graphics have always been important for most genres, and they always will. However, most of the games are experiences and tests of skills. In a game many aspects have to come together, but the problem is that many people focus too much on one aspect, and that happens to be the graphics.

I definitely see Sony playing shadow with Nintendo. Sony waits to see what did Nintendo fail at, and they proceed to make it better. They did the same with the Xbox, Sony always wants to be the best. Nintendo shouldn't release things so quickly because it gives other companies ideas. Just wait until Sony releases something first, and Nintendo should make it better. I just don't think that will happen because Nintendo isn't capable of trumping Sony.

I don't think it's a matter of wanting to be Nintendo as it is they don't want to lose customers to Nintendo. A lot of people bought the Wii, so if that is what the people want, they are willing to give it to them. All they have to do is build accessories to work with their console whereas Nintendo built a machine to do it. Why not add onto what you have if you don't have to make as big of an investment in time and research to do it?

I don't think Sony wants to be like Nintendo, they just know what Nintendo sells. It seems that typically with the 360 the games are shooters, so they don't follow nintendo as much.However since Sony does a variety of things they follow closer to Nintendo's ideas.

Sony and Microsoft are just trying to expand their markets and move into the "future of gaming". Nintendo's the one falling behind :p

Wow that I think of it, the title is basically "Does every phone want to be the iPhone?"

Back