Does Zelda need to vary the dungeon themes a bit more?

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
The games have had some great original ones in past games (like the Sandship and Ancient Cistern in Skyward Sword, the Palace of Twilight and City of the Sky in Twilight Princess and Forsaken Fortress in Wind Waker), but there's still too much of a theme of 'forest dungeon, fire dungeon, water dungeon', etc.

I mean, look:

Forest Dungeons

Skull Woods; Link to the Past
Inside the Deku Tree; Ocarina of Time
Forest Temple; Ocarina of Time
Woodfall Temple; Majora's Mask
Forbidden Woods; Wind Waker
Wind Temple; Wind Waker
Sea of Trees; Four Swords
Deepwood Shrine; Minish Cap
Forest Temple; Twilight Princess
Forest Temple; Spirit Tracks
Skyview Temple; Skyward Sword

Hell, three of them are actually called the Forest Temple!

Fire Dungeons

Turtle Rock; Link's Awakening
Dodongo's Cavern; Ocarina of Time
Fire Temple; Ocarina of Time
Skull Dungeon; Oracle of Ages
Sword and Shield Maze; Oracle of Seasons
Dragon Roost Isle; Wind Waker
Fire Mountain; Wind Waker (mini dungeon)
Tower of Flames; Four Swords Adventures
Cave of Flames; Minish Cap
Goron Mines; Twilight Princess
Temple of Fire; Phantom Hourglass
Fire Temple; Spirit Tracks
Earth Temple; Skyward Sword
Fire Sanctuary; Skyward Sword

Water Dungeons

Swamp Palace; Link to the Past
Angler's Tunnel; Link's Awakening
Catfish's Maw; Link's Awakening
Inside Jabu Jabu; Ocarina of Time
Water Temple; Ocarina of Time
Great Bay Temple; Majora's Mask
Mermaid's Cave; Oracle of Ages
Jabu Jabu's Belly; Oracle of Ages
Dancing Dragon Dungeon; Oracle of Seasons
Tower of the Gods; Wind Waker
Temple of Droplets; Minish Cap
Lakebed Temple; Twilight Princess
Ancient Cistern; Skyward Sword

Ice Dungeons

Ice Palace; Link to the Past
Ice Cavern; Ocarina of Time
Snowhead Temple; Majora's Mask
Sword & Shield Maze; Oracle of Seasons
Talus Cave; Four Swords
Ice Ring Isle (mini dungeon); Wind Waker
Temple of Ice; Four Swords Adventures
Temple of Droplets; Minish Cap
Snowpeak Ruins; Twilight Princess
Temple of Ice; Phantom Hourglass
Snow Temple; Spirit Tracks

We have way, way too many elemental dungeons, and often in the same order! Does every game need to start with a forest, fire and water dungeon in some order? Do we really need the same dungeon themes in every game?

What do you think?

What about Mario? The first first world is usually some kind of grassland? World 2 is a desert. World 8 is lava. I don't see a need for change if Mario doesn't.

I don't think they're going to change something that's been working for them for the past 25 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about Mario? The first first world is usually some kind of grassland? World 2 is a desert. World 8 is lava. I don't see a need for change if Mario doesn't.
I came just to say this. =P

To the people mentioning Mario, keep in mind I'm not particularly a fan of Mario reusing the same world themes either. New Super Mario Bros needs to stop using the grass/desert/water/ice/sky/forest/mountain/volcano world themes and come up with something new.

if its not broke, dont fix it, i dont see any problem with either

I dont see it being a problem much at all sure they re use the same elements but atleast the structures and puzzles are different.

You bring up an interesting point but, I don't see much of a problem. Sure, reoccuring themes get tedious at times through... let's say, the replay value, but It's still a Zelda game. Though, I wouldn't mind seeing another Shadow temple, or Spirit Temple/Arbiter's ground.

The elemental dungeons are necessary cause Link always have to forge something using the elements before entering the real dungeons.

There has to be at least one of each dungeon in each zelda game because it's tradition and doing anything else would be *making a new zelda*.

Nintendo is one for tradition, it would seem.

But what would you suggest as a replacement?

I'd like to see more sand-, ice-, sky-, and darkness-themed dungeons in the future. However, I think the standard forest, fire, and water dungeons are different enough in each game.

I don't mind the direction it's going, or perhaps in this case, still going. Each dungeon to me gives it something more distinctive than the others, so I don't think that they are all somewhat the same theme. I mean, it's not like all the dungeons are duplicates or anything, they all have different things going for them. I wouldn't mind a Sky temple or two rather than some Fire temple
tongue.gif
, but like I said, I don't mind the static themes.

Back